best headphones for iphone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheBigKing, Dec 10, 2010.

1. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

any sugestions i am looking for good headphones

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have Monster Turbines. I think these are a little on the lower end but I think they sound great. No more crappy Skullcandy's for me :)

3. TheBigKing thread starter macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

5. r2fa3l macrumors regular

tour beats by dr dre are the best at least for me..... just dont get the ibeats those are terrible

6. burgerkong macrumors newbie

Depends on price, high-end in-ears like JH13's, or Westone UM3X reigns supreme, but the sound quality of the iphone isn't the best, so go with mid-range products.

7. TheBigKing thread starter macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

8. iBrody macrumors 6502

I have Sennheiser IE8's which give great low end comparable to top end over the ear headphones and you can now buy them with the mic cable built in, IE8i's

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

asking for headphone advice is like asking what kind of car to buy

you need to

a) know your budget
    b) know what kind of music you listen to
    c) read lots of online reviews

any advice you get here is pointless, you need to go read up on headphone reviews from online review sites, or headphone forums. most people here dont have much knowledge on the subject compared to the vast knowledge other sites will have

10. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

I have the BOSE MIE2i. I've only been using it for the gym and it great. I think it's better than the PowerBeat (as far as being in the gym).

11. Resist, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

Resist macrumors 68030

What about the best wireless headphones? I'd like to find something when using my iPhone to workout with and not have to snag on the headphone cable. This happened to me once while running on a treadmill, it wasn't pretty.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apparently no one is listen to your sound advice.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

With my eyes closed I would suggest the new a-Jays Four without a doubt.

14. iamartimus macrumors 6502

I recently received my pair of Zagg Smartbuds. They were $50 but I got them for $25. I have been hearing mixed reviews on these but I wanted to give them a try. I'm glad I did. The sound quality, although not the best, it is really good. Pretty close to my Ultimate Ears that cost much, much more, but more comfortable in the ears, lighter, and I really like the way it wears around the neck. If they were full priced, I would not have bought them, but for half price, I recommend them. I might just order another set for back up. :)

15. nlensander macrumors member

BEATs STUDIOS ARE AMAZING

The Beast by Dr Dre are very reliable great headphones, depending on the amount of money you have I would go for at least the studios. The best headphones I have EVER heard, use them everyday, great headphones worth every penny.

If you can afford it get the beats pros, even better, havent tried them yet, only heard good things about them.

Hope this helped

16. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

I'm using the turbine at the moment also. These sound very nice and clear but not so much bass. So if you want a lot of bass I wouldn't recommend these.

I had a pair of Zagg Smartbuds when it first came out and it broke after 2 months of minimal use. The sounds is not all that great either. I think a pair of $20 Skullcandy sounds better IMO.

17. deeesea macrumors 6502

Turbines are a good choice, I'd stay away from the beats tour simply because the beats by dre is more oriented to looks than actual performance. Having said that, I've never owned the tours, but from my experience with the studios, I felt that it didn't sound that great for the price i paid. Don't get me wrong, they dont sound bad, but for the price, there are better options

Anyhow, I bought a pair of Turbines used for around 90 bucks, and those are a great set of earbuds. The only gripe I had was that when I walked and the cables slapped against my shirt I can hear a dull thudding noise in the IEM which got annoying really quick.

Currently, I'm using a pair of SE530's from Shure, they retail in the higher range of IEM's though nothing as close as what a pair of JH13's would run you, they are still a great set of headphones. Lots of bass for when I'm listening to thumping hip hop. Crystal clear high's, and the midrange sounds incredible!

Also, I'd also recommend the ATH ES7's great set of headphones for a very very very fair price. Grados are good as well, particularly the SR60s but because of their open design, they leak a lot of sound and let in a lot of sound as well. Given you're listening to it through your iphone I don't think you'd be stationary while listening to it so I might not recommend the SR60's but if you're inclined to give them an audition it's a great "benchmark" for the performance you want from your headphones.

Ultimate Ears SuperFi5 or whatever iphone compatible version (with the mic) are a great choice as well. Heck even the ADDIEMs are great (apple dual driver IEMs) (though from the time that I owned them, I felt they had the same problem the Monster turbines had).

In the end it all comes down to what you want to pay for headphones and what you consider to sound "great". All of this is very subjective, and what I may think sounds great may sound like trash to you. Definitely buy from a place that let's you do exchanges and returns because though a pair of headphones may sound great, there may be some design issues (thudding cable), fit issues (doesn't stay in your ear, keeps popping out, uncomfortable) and price issues that may deter you from keeping them.

gluck!

18. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hopefully mines last a bit longer, especially since I really don't use earPhones that often. Ive read that the newer version is much better then the Older version, but I don't know which one you had. I have had them for only a few days so far, so this is just my initial thoughts on them. The best thing about the Zagg is the way the wires are set up and they are very comfortable to wear. Hopefully more companies will use a similar type system as well.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

B&W engineered their headphones to work with the limitations both of the iPhone and noisy on-the-go environments.

Ignore the reviews by audiophiles who tried these at home attached to hifi equipment. That's not what they were designed for, and they work with the iPhone very nicely.

But try them for yourself.

20. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Lots of good advice in the posts above. I am a bit of a fanatic (and travel a lot) so went with customs from Ultimate Ears. Expensive but I have almost 10 years on one set.

Here is a group of fanatics where you can also get great reviews:
    HeadFi

21. Funky Drummer macrumors newbie

I'm not being specific to the iPhone here, but saw the word "headphones" so decided to jump in...

I'm a Radio Producer with the BBC and always, always use Sennheiser HD-25s. Whether recording on location, desktop editing, in a studio.... And they're just as great on my iPhone as they are on everything else.

22. TheBigKing thread starter macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

23. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

looked at the A-jays four last night really neat looking. looking forward to it coming out. looks like they are just coming out can't find a price yet!

25. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

ok here's an example

say I own a car ( in this case being an iphone )

and I wanted to know the best kind of bulbs to replace my headlight bulbs ( in this case being the headphones)

you could ask this question in a car forum, and get a few responses, but nothing that has really being researched and reviewed by people who love headlights and have experiences with multiple headlights

You would ask this question in a headlight/lighting forum ( like hidplanet)

Similarly MacRumors is a terrible review site. Rather than add to existing threads people always make their own threads = there is no way to get a good database. The accessories forum would benefit if it had subforums for different brands/accessories = making it easier to read reviews

You want a website for audiophiles that have a wealth of headphone review experience

http://www.headphonereviews.org/
    http://www.headphone.com/
    http://www.goodcans.com/
    http://reviews.cnet.com/best-headphones/

etc