Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/shure-e500pth-sound-isolating-earphones/

My pair of stock Apple's just farted and died. iLounge still has the e500's as thier best. My iPhone feels naked without a good pair of headphones. Any thoughts and recommendations for a replacement pair?

I would suggest you pay a nice amount for your next pair, listen there is no best earphone or headphone. There are many great pairs and you need to find what you like.

For the iPhone i would tell you to look at Etymotic HF2, Shure Se115, Klipsch Image or custom 2/3 (Amazon should have a good price) Or Ultimate Ears higher end models only though.
For headphones, Denon d1001, Shure SRH440 or the AKG k450 those are all portable choices, ENJOY!

Look around, i reviewed the Etymotic on my site.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
I'm no audiophile, but I use the Apple In-Ear headphones and they work pretty well. I recently picked up a pair of Dr. Dre Beats Solo with control talk and I'm actually very impressed. It really boils down to what genre of music you listen to and what you're using them for - whether it's walking to class, using them in the gym, or simply at home while reading, etc. I use the Apple In-Ears for more active occasions and the Beats Solo are reserved for at home use and while traveling. SchneiderMan provided some pretty solid options worth looking into as well.

Hawke

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Ok I normally my docking station to listen to music on my iPhone or iPod, but I am in desperate need for a headphone.

I hate those ear plugs or earbuds, as they are extremely painful (I hate sticking things in my ear) but it is so difficult trying to find something that is small, but yet something which i dont have to stick into my ear.

Any recommendations as to where i should look. I really need something with a mic, which i can carry around with me.

Best regards

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/shure-e500pth-sound-isolating-earphones/

My pair of stock Apple's just farted and died. iLounge still has the e500's as thier best. My iPhone feels naked without a good pair of headphones. Any thoughts and recommendations for a replacement pair?

The e500 has long been superseded by the SE530. How much are you willing to spend? SchneiderMan listed some good headphones, but you'll need to do some research to find the best ones for you.

If you want no expense spared, $1100 custom headphones, get the JH13 Pro (google it). 10 year warranty; you won't need new ones for a long time.

If you want customs on a budget (highly recommended), go on ebay or something and find someone selling Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10. Buy them, then get them customized. It will run you into the $300s.

If you want good earphones that aren't custom, get what I have! Or others, depending on preference. The RE0 are on sale for $79 right now.

For more research, look here: http://www.head-fi.org

Ok I normally my docking station to listen to music on my iPhone or iPod, but I am in desperate need for a headphone.

I hate those ear plugs or earbuds, as they are extremely painful (I hate sticking things in my ear) but it is so difficult trying to find something that is small, but yet something which i dont have to stick into my ear.

Any recommendations as to where i should look. I really need something with a mic, which i can carry around with me.

Best regards

You're very specific. I can't think of any earbuds that have a mic attached. You could get clip on headphones, like the KSC75 (~$15), and an iPhone mic adapter (~$20).

Really, in ear phones aren't that bad. The good ones can be very comfortable, and don't even go that far into your ear. Look at the Klipsch S4i. It has a mic, and Klipsch is known for comfort.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I also got the Apple in ear ones recently and I'm quite happy with them. Having the controls on the wire is a must for the touch and iPhones.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I also got the Apple in ear ones recently and I'm quite happy with them. Having the controls on the wire is a must for the touch and iPhones.

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be built in. You can get something like the Fiio E1 (google it - $20) that has controls and a built in clip. It also functions as a headphone amp so your phones sound better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.