Best hibernate mode for mbp 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hi there!

I was wandering which one is the best hibernate mode for my mid 2010 mbp.

I read that this is the difference:

3 – Default. As described above, when sleeping, contents are saved to RAM. When battery runs out, hibernate occurs.

7 – Behaves as 3 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses “Secure virtual memory”

I have no idea what "secure virtual memory" means.

Do you guys know the difference?

Which one is the best?

Thank you!

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

This link has all your options:
    Macworld

as for your question:
    Of course, looking in my options, I don't see an option to use secure virtual memory (i am on Lion 10.7.2) so I would stick with 3 unless you want super fast boot speeds. I use hibernatemode 0 because I like it to wake quick and I don't let the battery run down to the point that it would die.

3. simsaladimbamba

from Secure Virtual Memory via "secure virtual memory" using MetaCrawler

Btw, I just use state "0", as that is what I am used to it from my iBook (which could awake faster than my 2009 MBP) and my MBP almost never dies of battery emptiness.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Secure Virtual Memory is encrypted virtual memory.

Lion has Secure Virtual Memory on by default, it was an option in Snow Leopard.

So it will depend on what OS you are running. With mode 7, the sleep image would be encrypted when stored on the disk. So if someone were to gain access to your machine they would not be able to dump all the contents of your RAM.

It doesn't come down to "better" but instead security.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Generally, I stick with setting 0 as well. However, I like SmartSleep, which essentially puts the computer in a different mode depending on battery level. If I let it go below 5%, it will go to hibernate only mode. This generally only happens when I'm away from a power source, so it's what I'd want to have happen anyway.

Note: it works fine with Lion, but you'll have to purchase it from the MAS (like normal) and then download an update from the developer, as the MAS version doesn't actually do anything in Lion.

6. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats weird because my mba came with Lion and the hibernate mode was set to 3.

Anyway, the startup time is not that longer with 7, so I think I'll stick with the safer option.

7. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah guys, but should I feel any difference in the wakeup time between hibernate 1 and 5, due to the virtual security encryption thing?