Best Hiking App with map

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lindsayanng, Apr 18, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Ok, I have been reading all of the various GPS tracking apps, but i was HOPING there is one that allows you to import a trail map from a local park and track yourself via GPS on that map.

Once there, if you can take pictures at little way points, and get coordinates it would be great, but not nessecary.

All i want is to see where I am on a trail.. I keep getting lost in this one mountain and ending up OFF of the trail i want to be on and on an easier trail.

2. SuperKat macrumors regular

Trails

I've been using "Trails" for my mountainbike rides and I think it's amazing.
    I set up an EveryTrail account and send the ride when I'm finished. When I get home I can check it out at EveryTrail.com.
    While I'm actually riding I can see streets, make waypoints, take pics, etc.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=180780

3. Nicholas01 macrumors newbie

Best Hiking With map

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

A map and compass prevents one from getting lost in the field. Losing one's bearing in unfamiliar terrain raises the risk of anxiety and panic, and hence, physical injury. Maps that cover the relevant area in sufficient detail and dimension (topography, trails, roads, campsites, towns, etc.) and the skill and knowledge to use them are indispensable when traveling through the outdoors, especially when the place of travel lacks signage, markings or guides. Even a basic compass can help an individual find his way to safety.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

+1 for "Trails". You can import (from EveryTrail, Bikely, etc) and view those maps (topo maps) & trails if you want. I turn Trails on before I get on my mountain bike, throw it in my camelbak and ride. When I'm done, I have a great map showing my ride including the altitude profile that I can upload to google earth. Very cool and makes the cycle computer nearly redundant.