Best Hot Spot Choice?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by teerexx52, Mar 18, 2011.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I hope I've posted this in the correct spot. I have an ipad 2 16GB wifi as well as MacBook Computers. Other than jail breaking an iphone what is the best value in a hot spot out there. I have been looking into Verizon and Sprint. T-Mobile has some good plans but seem to only have usb modems. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

2. bender0069 macrumors member

I'm actually in the same boat, but I want a pay as you go hot spot. I'll probably only need one a couple times a year for a week or two, and don't want to pay a monthly contract for one. The only one I've found is from Virgin mobile. I'd like to hear feed back too

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Virgin's hotspot uses Sprint's 3G network. Should get pretty good service. Sprint has a hotspot that gives unlimited 4G service and a capped 3G. Virgin is unlimited 3G.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

The reviews on Virgin Mobile's hot spot aren't very good from the reading I've done. Problems connecting and staying connected. Looking at Verizon

6. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I had the Sprint Overdrive and upgraded to the new Overdrive Pro.
    It can connect up to 8 devices at once and is very fast when in the 4g coverage area. The new Overdrive is smaller than the original and boots up in about half the time (30 seconds compared to 1 minute) Also has longer battery life.
    Service is a little pricey at $60 per month but it is nice.

Kenal0

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Isn't the service $.05 for every mb over the 5gb limit?

8. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Yes on the 3g network. Unlimited on 4g network. I have yet to go over and many of the places I use the Overdrive is in 4 g coverage.

Kenal0

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I believe Verizon is $50 for 5 gb. $10 each gb over. Only 3G but would be less risky for overages. We don't have 3G at ournhouse but do see it 10 miles south of us

10. emgoodman macrumors regular

They sell a ton of refurbished and some new Verizon 2200 MiFis on eBay. They usually go for about $40ish and there is no contract.

11. dmunz macrumors regular

Verizon Thunderbolt. Seriously. 3G and 4G unlimited at no extra cost for two months and then $20 for 2GB. And you get a Droid to play with too :rolleyes:

FWIW
    DLM

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Not saying your suggestion is bad, but signing a contract and buying a new phone is not exactly "good value" at all like the OP is asking. In fact it is a pretty bad one so I take it back, your suggestion is bad.

13. thebubbatex macrumors regular

If you look at the pricing, Verizon is probably a better deal in both price and usage needs. Sprint only has two plans for 3G - $30/2gb and $60/5gb. 4G is unlimited when you can get it. The real deal on Sprint is with a 4G phone as a hotspot. Unlimited data and the hotspot feature can be turned on/off as needed and is pro-rated on usage.