Best HTML/CSS book

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by FiIip, Sep 12, 2010.

1. FiIip macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've seen sticky threads and found there many helpful links but I have this thing that I prefer to learn from books. So, there's my question. What is the best book to walk me through the very basics of HTML and CSS? I would like this book simply written and reach in fundamental information.

Thanks in advance for all the answers,
    FiIip

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is no "best" book because what will work for you might not work for someone else. Go to your local bookstore (or library) and peruse. See which one you find easiest to read.

3. FiIip thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love to look into some books but since I live in small country called Poland market of web development books is extremely small. Apart from that polish translations are mainly poor so I have to do the research on the internet. And then order it from Amazon. That's why I'm looking for some book that is recommended by others.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I would check out "Learning Web Design". I used the book for my Beginning Web Design class and it was a great resource. The first half of the book is about html and second focuses on CSS.

If your a beginner there is probably no better book out there to teach you the basics of web design.

5. webmunki macrumors newbie

O'Reilly publishes a series of books called Head First Labs. They are a quick and easy introduction to subjects like HTML/CSS, PHP/MySQL.

The one on [X]HTML/CSS is really good - its not dry and it works with a couple of projects throughout the book unlike some of the other text books which work on disjointed examples often out of any context.

You can download a chapter from their site http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/. I dont think its translated into Polish though if that is what you are looking for.

6. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

CSS - The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland

7. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

+1 for Head First HTML & CSS; it's the best I've read.

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html2/ book is a good starting point for web designers. it teaches enough xhtml and css to build a decent website. currently reading jeremy keith's html5 for web designers. it's a basic intro to some of the new html5 features, and how they can be used.

there's ofcourse more advanced stuff, and for that i recommend o'reilly books. (haven't read through them myself yet, but flipping through them, they looked very promising)

9. eponym macrumors 6502

Dan Cederholm, author of SimpleBits.com is one of the best I've seen on this subject. He does a great job of explaining when and why you would use a technique. He's written a few books now...

10. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I can recommend 'Pro CSS AND HTML design patterns - by Michael Bowers' published by Apress. I would not recommend the first book in the series by Simon Collison with Apress, it did not explain clearly and thoroughly enough for me :eek:.

11. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I prefer the site W3Schools, which offers explanations for every element and attribute you can think of. They also let you try it yourself right from the site.

12. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Zeldman has some good books. Not sure if they are any beginner CSS/HTML stuff though.

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Another suggestion:
    http://www.htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/.

Not saying it's “best”, but you won't learn anything wrong from it and is fairly concisely and simply written with lots of examples to learn from. You will need to bring yourself up to date with the HTML 5/CSS 3 stuff at some stage (which this doesn't cover), but one step at a time hey…

14. jlcurby macrumors newbie

15. olup macrumors 6502

I really like the books by jason cranford teague, speaking in styles and css3 a visual quickstart guide. they are easy to understand and colorful. then there is html and css ny jon duckett,a very visual and nice book as well. also the zeldman book designing with web standards is really great. apart from that smashingmagazine.com has very interesting and helpful articles.

16. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I live in Czech Republic which is even smaller (hello, neighbour :D), but there is a bunch of books about this topic.

For HTML/CSS you really don't need any special books, you'll get it almost from every book on the market. Then just practice and practice and learn new tweaks from tutorials on the internet.

17. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Use Team Treehouse (google them) Incredible learning site.