Best iBooks

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cambookpro, Aug 16, 2010.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Title says it all. Haven't downloaded many, but some good ones I've found:

Kids & Teens:
    • Skulduggery Pleasant: Dark Days
    • Dot Robot
    • Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex
    • Winnie-the-Pooh

Humour/Ficton:
    • For Crying Out Loud
    • Imperial Bedrooms

Non-Fiction:
    • Bad Science
    • Freakonomics

So, any other good ones you've found?

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Is there something that makes them better as iBooks or are they general reading recommendations? I use Kindle so I do not know if the selection is the same.

The Farseer Trilogy (and the follow up Tawny Man trilogy) by Robin Hobb is an incredible fantasy series. First book is The Assassin's Apprentice.

The Night Angel trilogy is another fantastic trilogy. First book is Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks.

Daemon is a wonderful book about a MMORPG developer's "computer virus" controlling the world after his death. Written by Daniel Suarez.

3. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Reading recommendations that are on the iBookstore, as there's not a huge amount at the moment (eg no Harry Potter).

4. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I also use kindle rather than ibooks - as i have a kindle also and it is (IMHO) better (For me) to read on.

As for harry potter, JK Rowling refuses to release the HP series in ebook formats, as she allegedly thinks that it will be too easy to pirate, so people have done the manual scan and OCR route and published on P2P sites to get the books out there.

I do wish ebooks could take off as well as mp3's did but i understand it'll take time, it is better though that there is a UK centered Kindle store! yay!

I'm currently reading the girl with the dragon tattoo and purchased the rest of the series and loving them!

5. silentbob007 macrumors regular

I've purchased three iBooks ... Ender's Game, Stephen King's "It", and Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders." Both It and Executive Orders were full of spelling errors ... what looked to be scanning mistakes ... "l" were "1", "e" was "c", etc ... I counted over 200 errors in EO alone. I'm not sure if this is typical or just my luck, but it has started me buying Kindle books instead of iBooks.

6. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I just checked the iBook store and Australia still doesn't have anything except for the "classic" free books available on launch.

Kindle wins by default :)

7. stylez4o1 macrumors newbie

I enjoyed the free ibook that came with the ibook app. :rolleyes:

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I signed up for Audible a while back for the free audio book and got that one. Loved the book sooo much. The narrator was so enjoyable to listen to I ended up doing the free trial thing with a different card each time a new one in the series came out. :eek:

The author died after submitting the first three books but there have been stories that the partially written fourth book might get finished by a friend and release. Was supposed to be a series of 10. :( Don't let that stop you from reading them though, they are not cliffhanger style that lead into the next.

9. Hemmo macrumors regular

i was very dissapointed about ibook store ,theres no books what so ever..im using kindle at the moment amazon has tons of books to chose from just down loaded dan browns The malacca Conspiracy :)

10. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think that J K Rowling was notorious for having a downer on ebooks so it's no surprise that they're not in the store. I did just see that there are rumours that this is due to change: http://www.thebookseller.com/news/119581-rowling-opens-door-to-digital-harry-potter-books.html. (OK, I confess. I was googling to see how to spell her name properly when I hit the link above.)

I'm not bothered myself, but I will watch with great interest because it will be a good indicator as to how agressive Apple are being in populating the iBook store. If Harry Potter ebooks do launch, but Kindle gets them noticably in advance of the iBook store, then I would view that as a very discouraging sign that Apple aren't firing on all cylinders yet as far as the whole content-aquisition thing is concerned. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

- Julian

11. Hemmo macrumors regular

i liked those movies :) havent read those though..i think larson died before he even got really noticed :(

12. silentbob007 macrumors regular

I would hope that they would finally be released. Maybe after the movies? Odds are, if you were going to buy paper copies, you'd have already done so, and the same is true for pirating.

13. Harrelson macrumors member

Giacomo Casanova -The story of my life

FREE!

10,000pages though, 8000 to go.....

14. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Yes, because no one ever buys books which are more than a few years old.

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

16. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

iBooks are too damn expensive, makes me think it's easier to make a physical book as opposed to delivering it electronically. Back to the drawing board Apple.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I have a bunch, but most are from project gutenberg... I like unaltered classics...

Now if you are a student like me, Kaplan has a sweet promotion where almost all of their ibooks (in ibook store) are free until the 30th! Books for med students like me, law stud., nurses, sat and others! put the address from your iphone or ipad for it to take you to ibook! It's not all their books that they usually sell but the ones in ibook store are nice and for now free! Here is the address from the email I received: (access it through the iphone or ipad for it to take you to the ibooks store!
    kaplanpublishing.com/itunes

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It does feel odd to buy an ebook when Amazon is selling a physical copy for 99cents (and a few bucks shipping :p)

19. Hemmo macrumors regular

yep thats true ,ebooks should be cheaper (no paper or transportation etc etc) but ebooks is good for people like me that dosent live in states.I live in Finland and everything gets here little later so i can get books that havent arrived to finland yet and i dont have to wait week for some book store to send them to me.And Ebooks dosent run out of stock :D

20. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Makes sense. The only way I would get an e-book reader was if it was included in a product with other uses, IE the iPad. Kindle is great(don't have one), but it only does books(with a upfront cost). I think books on the iPad should be an after-thought, otherwise it is just better to buy the book

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's in there? I've heard so much about that book. I MUST READ IT!!

My buddy just told me about "War" by Sebastian Junger as a must read before our deployment to Afghanistan. Found it in the iBook store as well.

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yup, sure is. Extremely funny too. Read the 31 page intro.. you'll HAVE to buy it after that.

23. fratoal macrumors newbie

Graphic novels

I recently read "inspiration dormant" a very good graphic novel.

Do you know any other of this style?

24. Northwestern macrumors regular

My favorite iBook: North by Northwestern - by Sig Hansen

25. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

fixed this for you ;)

The Wasp Factory if i remember correctly, or was that the kindle store... hmmm.