Best iCloud setup for music & laptop-to-laptop transfer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuyInTheBack, Oct 25, 2015.

1. GuyInTheBack macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

I've never had an iCloud setup before, so bear with me if this reeks of newbness.

My 2008, all-silver macbook recently gave its last breath and I invested in a new (secondhand) Macbook (2013) that the owner rebooted for me and installed the basic software on. I've always used the manual backup drive approach to transfer my music files (and then trying to play the in the same order as on my iPod and phone so they don't)

Is there a way to up upload everything to the cloud and then into my new Macbook that way? Does anyone know a good resource to go about setting this up as painlessly as possible, basically?

I should also say that the audio files weren't all purchased through iTunes. A lot of YT audio rips. cough.

P.S. I use a Windows Phone and would love to find an easier way that than spotty "Windows Phone Apple Store App" to synchronize my music there too if anyone has a recommendation. (Might be asking for the moon there.)

2. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Oh and a quick P.S. for sharing documents between latop/desktop/work computer Google Drive, Dropbox or Option #3??

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The most painless way to do it would be to attach your external drive to your mac and use migration assistant to move all your music files accross. Anything that transfers to the cloud and back to you mac over wifi will take a long time for any significant amount of data especially the initial upload to the cloud.

If I was in that situation with multiple devices I'd use network attached storage for all my files etc so you have total control and can access them on any device as long as I have the internet.