Best IE testing solutions for OSX

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irishgrizzly, Aug 28, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What is the best solution for testing IE browsers in OSX? I'd like to avoid using bootcamp every time to check a site. I've heard of a paying service where you upload your code and a server takes screenshots in every major browser and sends these to you. Anyone use this?

I know there are ways to open windows programs in OSX – but which is the best if I only want to open IE/Firefox?

2. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

I find the easiest way is to use VMware fusion. Then install the iecollection and you can test in any flavour of ie you wish.

3. Kaliemon macrumors member

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The best method is to run them in a virtual machine. I've been using VirtualBox (free) and have Windows XP and Ubuntu installed on it. You'll have to have a copy of Windows though in order to install it. I've also occasionally used CrossOver ($40) to run IE6 on my Mac. It's not wonderful, but does let you interact with the page rather than just seeing the layout.

There are free web sites that will render your site in a bunch of browsers as static images. Below are two. The stickies in this forum may offer more.

IE NetRenderer
    BrowserShots

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is