Best IM service account for iChat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alFR, May 22, 2008.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

I want to start using iChat for video calls between family members, but none of us have an account for any of the IM services that it supports (.Mac, AIM, jabber, google talk). So, are there any advantages (cost/other features of .Mac aside) to joining one over the other? Or are they all pretty much the same?

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well if you only going to be using it for video chat, then i suggest that you use AIM as it is free.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you ignore .Mac for the moment, then yes, they are pretty much the same, as far as iChat is concerned.

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Google talk has the slight advantage that you can use it for text-based chat from a browser window anywhere in the world when you aren't able to install programs for e.g. AIM at work/school/cybercafes/abroad/whatever.

(Also has a v. v. good email setup IMO).

5. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Or you can just use meebo.com ;)

6. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out google talk and AIM.

7. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I'm on Leopard and I can't get the video button to appear. Its all greyed out. Can anyone offer any help. I am trying to connect to a friends Google account

8. imac123 macrumors regular

the program Adium also allows you to log in to the most popular chat account (AIM, yahoo, google chat, etc) all at once. BUT, haven't seen if there is a video chat option available on it. Looking real quickly, i didnt see one =/

9. .michael macrumors regular

AIM is the most popular. I have used it on my mac since November. It's great.