Best IM software for OS X?

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Ok, I've had my Macs now for all of a week and am using iChat AV. Oh and MSN Messenger!

Is there a good IM that can do the lot. I mainly use a .net passport to talk to friends but need access to AIM buddies.

Thanks!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Fire and Proteus also exist to do the same thing. I've tried Fire and am okay with it but have not tried Proteus but I didn't like Adium. People keep telling me that it's getting better.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I second Adium X.

Tried Adium long ago (before the 'X' version), and that was really bad. Gave Adium X a chance a couple of months ago and ditched Proteus in a second.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Mercury has the ability in beta versions to receive video. The Linux and windows version can send and receive.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm gonna have to third (or fourth?) Adium X. It's easily my favorite IM client. If you need voice or audio capabilities, you are going to have to use iChat AV, but for anything other than that, stick with Adium. It looks great, and is one of the most customizable OS X Apps I've ever seen.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i tried adium but i still like ichat av. just so simple, and with iProfile (an add-on type thing to get a profile) it does everything i want it to.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Thanks for all the advices guys.

I'm trying out Adium at the moment, but none of my friends are online at the moment! Billy no mates! :D

It's nice to be able to connect to two msn screen names at the same time!

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I have just posted a question in general discussions about the lack of decent, or any that i can find, iChat rooms. I use ichat and iSight with my family, friends and for business. I'm not really wanting to use my iSight for video chats with other people, but the text chat with people on the forums would be great. All site listings I have found on the net seem to be geared towards adult entertainment and dating.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
ive heard loads of mac guys complaining that MSN messenger is crap but ive got no complaints with it so far. AND you can log in invisible, something PC users can't do (well theres no tick-box saying so) ;)

MSN for me! and Skype once i get a wireless network installed

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
x and all its awesome plug ins.

Transparent, borderless buddy list is my fave.

Oh-so-choice.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Definitely Adium. Life just wouldn't be the same without the Shakespearean insult generator plug-in, a buddy list with a transparent background, tabbed messages, an away message that responds with my friends' actual names, and the insanely space efficient message view style, Tül .

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
i use adium x because it's free. fire is fine too. i really like proteus the best, but to me it doesn't have enough on adium to merit paying for it. msn messenger works fine and i use msn the most, but the msn software has ads on it that blink on your screen all the time, and that's really lame. i also like ichat, but i rarely use AIM.

i'd say try several and see what you like the best. my reasons for liking adium are totally subjective. the main reason is that i like the way it looks. so there's that.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I second Adium X.

Tried Adium long ago (before the 'X' version), and that was really bad. Gave Adium X a chance a couple of months ago and ditched Proteus in a second.
I 3rd Adium, i just downloaded it and i love it. I have a lot of people on my msn and iChat and this is the best solution so far. Thanks for the info Raven VII.

Rubin421

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2004
New York
Adium is very handy and customizable. You can download styles for both the main window and the message windows, and therefore make it look exactly how you like.
And it does display the MSN 6 pictures.
I would say its only downside is the way it handles the file transfers: no percentage bar...

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Another vote for Adium X.

To the previous poster (and anyone else): the next version of Adium X, 0.8, coming fairly soon I believe, will have several few features, including a file transfer status window (similar to download managers in web browsers).

skipperchong

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2005
Austin, TX
skp574 said:
Ok, I've had my Macs now for all of a week and am using iChat AV. Oh and MSN Messenger!

Is there a good IM that can do the lot. I mainly use a .net passport to talk to friends but need access to AIM buddies.

Thanks!
I use Fire, works for me. which is all that counts. just need an IM program to login to multiple protocols. that's my $.02.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
reh said:
Yahoo Messenger also has video in OS X.
Yes but not audio though is there?
I used it only once - for video with a mate on a PC...
found the colour to be terrible, and in comparison with iChat, well there was no comparison in quality!
Shame iChat isn't able to link into MSN users though.

I use Adium mostly, but iChat with other Mac users.