Best iMac cleaning supplies?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hamoodi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

Hey guys what's up?! I have been on the market for a good cleaner for a while now (since about 07' when I got my first ever apple product!", and I think the iKlear is a good choice. I was planning on getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Klear-Screen-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313799818&sr=1-1

This good^? I have also heard that iKlear is used by Apple Technicians...? Anybody wanna confirm that? :D

Thanks a lot! :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iKlear is good but fairly overpriced. You could get away with an alcohol based cleaner (I think isopropyl is recommended) and a microfiber cloth. Will easily save you a tenner.

3. leman macrumors 604

A microfiber cloth and a little water, I never needed anything more.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The only issue with water is that its evaporation rate is much longer than alcohols'. When cleaning electronics, it's important that the liquid evaporates quickly or it may cause damage if it gets inside the machine.

Cleaning the iMac's glass with water is okay and I also do that sometimes but using water for the keyboard for example can be harmful.

5. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Does any iklear work ? I noticed they have different bottles for iPods, iPads, etc... :confused:

6. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I use glass cleaner and paper towels. Never needed anything else.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

iKlear is fine, also handy to have an aircompressor if you have pets or live in a dusty area

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

A little water on the corner of the microfiber cloth that came with the iMac works fine for the screen.

As for the keyboard and case of the iMac I use moistened office equipment cleaning towels that I buy in packs at the 100 yen (dollar) store.

By the way, KeyboardCleanTool from the developer of BetterTouchTool is a great little app for disabling the keyboard while cleaning. :)

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

A microfiber cloth and a slightly moist cotton cloth works great for me.