Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesaz123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
York, PA, USA
I currently have a 2012 MBP, which is my first Mac. I LOVE it! But now, I want a mac desktop to accompany it. I've always been very fond of the look of the iMac. Considered buying a Mac Mini, but I realized I'd rather have an All-in-one system. Now here's my question: I want to buy a USED iMac off of eBay, Macofalltrades, or PowerMax. What year iMac would be good for my needs, and will be somewhat future-proof? (By "somewhat future-proof", I mean 2 years) I would be using the computer for: Web Browsing, HD Youtube, iTunes and iPhoto management, possible editing of short (2-3 minute) videos in iMovie, Skype, Word Processing, etc etc. Definitely not a power user or anything like that. Any recommendations on what year iMac I should look into buying? Are the 2007 and 2008 models too old to be useful?

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
I currently have a 2012 MBP, which is my first Mac. I LOVE it! But now, I want a mac desktop to accompany it. I've always been very fond of the look of the iMac. Considered buying a Mac Mini, but I realized I'd rather have an All-in-one system. Now here's my question: I want to buy a USED iMac off of eBay, Macofalltrades, or PowerMax. What year iMac would be good for my needs, and will be somewhat future-proof? (By "somewhat future-proof", I mean 2 years) I would be using the computer for: Web Browsing, HD Youtube, iTunes and iPhoto management, possible editing of short (2-3 minute) videos in iMovie, Skype, Word Processing, etc etc. Definitely not a power user or anything like that. Any recommendations on what year iMac I should look into buying? Are the 2007 and 2008 models too old to be useful?

I would recommend a 2009 model or newer, because you said hd youtube and iMovie, then you would not want a x1600 card or similar. Maybe a 2010 model? And big iPhoto libraries may lag horribly on the older graphic cards, at least it does on my MacBook, which has the same card as the older iMacs (GMA 950).

brown.eyed.girl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
I was about to post pretty much the exact same thread, and would love to hear recommendations as well.

Would the 2007/2008/2009 iMacs be sufficient for internet/photos/word processing (no gaming), or are they just too outdated at this point, being 2 generations behind?

Thanks all!

minimalism

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
I'd go for the 2010 iMac due to its RAM access and the screen being held By magnets, easily removable if you're to clean the internals.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Might I suggest you look at a refurbished iMac from Apple? It comes with a 1 year warranty and you can get AppleCare to extend that if you want. They have some good pricing on 2012 iMacs. A newer iMac would be good for more than 2 years.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'd definitely check out the refurbs from the Apple site. Plus you can also get AppleCare for them too so you know you're good for 3 years.

----------------------
Oops, beaten to it.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I would also recommend 2009 and forwards, but if thats not an option here is what you should consider researching before you buy.

- What OS X version is it running
- If its not running the latest version are my apps compatible
- Does the model have any known problems (i.e. are people reporting having problems with that model after some time)

All in all macs are solid machines. I recently purchased a iMac g5 to use as a kitchen computer and it works great, no issues. You will always risk by purchasing electronics from ebay that it could break a week or month after purchase, you have no guarantee. I would suggest you do plenty of research before you buy, speak with the seller to get as much info as possible about the iMac you are looking to purchase. If the seller is honest, and sells you an iMac in good condition, then I think you'll be satisfied.

lewisweekly

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Cambridge area
I recently purchased an Intel iMac 2006 model and it copes perfectly for what you stated you would want. Internet browsing is great and HD youtube works seemingly. I really don't think you need to splash out on anything newer than a 2008 model. The only problem with pre-2007 models is the lack of being able to update to mavericks. Apart from that I cant see you having any issues. Depends if you want it for aesthetics or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.