Best iMac memory? (current early-09 Alu iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kuebby, Jul 29, 2009.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I recently bought the current 20" 2.66 iMac and it comes with 2gb of RAM standard and I've been toying with the idea of upping the RAM to 4gb.

I've been having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the best/cheapest/compatible memory for it. I know these current iMacs use DDR3-8500 1066Mhz RAM, but I wasn't sure if it used laptop of desktop RAM, so I couldn't figure out which was the right RAM on Newegg, or if they even stocked it.

Obviously I found it on OWC but the price seemed to be a little higher than Newegg, but it really depended on the brand...

So I guess my questions are really; 1. what should I look for good, compatible RAM? 2. Any recommendations on specific RAM I should get? Suggestions are appreciated.

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

MemoryX or MemoryTen sells Apple memory (the same memory apple sells and uses, which every memory card is 100% tested), they have great prices, I been using this company since 1996, when I used to buy Sun Sparc processors and memory from them.

less than $33 per 2GB of apple memory

http://www.memoryx.net/apple2gbddr3so.html

3. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

No problem, and if you plan to buy the RAM from Amazon, definitely exchange your coins at Coinstar for an Amazon gift card.

5. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

now that is a smart idea, time to collect all the coins in the house, we have tons.