Best iMac Speakers?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KorraSpirit, Oct 11, 2014.

1. KorraSpirit macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend me some good speakers for iMac?

Second question:

I wanted to buy these speakers, but there is only one speaker. If I placed this on the left side of my desk, would the sound be weird because the sound source is coming one side of the desk?

2. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I would recommend a Bose SoundLink Mini.

You will not believe the sound quality from such a small unit. It will happily sit under your monitor.

3. Wirbowsky macrumors member

May be have a look at Bowers & Wilkins desktop speakers

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The built in speakers :p I think they are great!

5. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

I have the B&W MM-1 speakers. They are very good. However in terms of bang-for-the buck, I still think the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III are the best. The B&W MM-1's are acoustically better but not twice as good and don't have the base response of the HK 2.1 system.

If you are a real audiophile, the B&W speakers are excellent. For everyone else the HK Soundsticks III have great sound, great aesthetics (designed by Jony Ive), small desk footprint, and are 1/2 the price of the B&Ws.

The built-in speakers on the 2013 iMac are not bad, but they can't equal external speakers.

6. jaycee520 macrumors regular

...got the B&W Zep for Airplay and a Bose Soundlink mini for bluetooth connection..both are great!!

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

8. KorraSpirit thread starter macrumors newbie

Since it's one speaker instead of two, would the sound sound off when its on a desk? Since it'll be coming from one side?

9. vga4life macrumors 6502

Audioengine A2+ with the DS1 stands if you're being reasonable. Audioengine A5+ with the DS2 stands if you want to go big. (You can use your own stands or shelves if you've got them - a pair of standard wedge-shaped rubber doorstops per speaker work well even if they're not beautiful - but it's worth getting them pointed at your ears rather than sitting flat on your desk.)

With Bose you're paying for the name, with these you're paying for the components and materials.

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    I replaced these with the Logitech Z553 - Crisp, clear speakers that produce well balanced sound, and are actually quite loud given their size. I can not praise these highly enough

11. brerlappin macrumors member

I have a Bose 2.1 (don't remember the model name) and it's great.

12. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i have the original 5s, which i got a great deal on at the time. Pair it with a decent sub and you'll have a great office system this side of $500. The B&Ws with FST midrange are my starting point for towers...but those don't fit on your desk lol.

The A2 plus has a DAC so if you want a small integral system its the way to go...don't know why the 5 plus is still without this feature actually

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III and I agree they are an awesome value. They sound and look great next to my iMac. I haven't once regretted their purchase.

It's a work of art, after all, in the collection at the NY Museum of Modern Art. :)

14. cycledance Suspended

15. christian.terra macrumors regular

Bowers mm-1's. The quality still blows me away and I've had them for two years now. Obviously this also depends on whether you connect them via usb and the quality of music in your collection. Otherwise, go for the sound sticks. They sound great as well.

16. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Definitely get something that will take advantage of the iMac's, well all Macs, optical audio.

Personally, I have the Logitech Z906. Awesome system if I say so myself, definitely happy with it. :D

17. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I have the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 system connected to my Mac Pro and still love it. Produces very accurate sound with good bass when I want to turn up the music in my office when the wife and kid are out.

18. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I always recommend the Swans M10 2.1 speaker if you're looking to spend under $120. Aesthetically pleasing and simple like the iMac (goes together with it perfectly IMO) and pumps out some awesome sound that beats the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. It's not a bass heavy type of speakers, but it has incredible clarity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The setup photo isn't mine BTW.

19. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yeah. I was torn between the Bose Companion (?) desktop speakers….. but ended up being entranced by the Altec Lansing "Jellyfish" which I bought. :D

When I move again, and buy a new iMac, I might have to go with the Bose. That Jellyfish subwoofer, while good, is just too big.

I want the speakers mainly for computer use and good realistic sounding-games. I don't listen to rap music or any junk that emphasizes heavy bass. I'm starting to get a bit old for that crap. Maybe when I was a teenager, but not now.

[​IMG]

20. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

What happens when you turn it up when they're around? :p

21. MacTCE macrumors 6502

My son comes running in and dances around like a maniac! :cool:

22. michaelk7 macrumors member

23. iono11200 macrumors member

I have the Bose Companion 20 Speakers. I bought them this summer to compliment my new iMac. They look great with the iMac. They sound good, not sure if they are $249.00 good. They are a very easy to set up. well thought out system with some really nice features. My main complaint? Not enough bass. I downloaded "Boom" to my iMac which seems to help quite a bit, but not having a separate subwoofer is noticable to me. Very good quality and more than loud enough. All in All I'm satisfied. Unless I hear something better in person I would more than likely buy them again.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Man I still would recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021 but they are soooo hard to find!!! Mine are still fantastic.

25. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'm using an Audioengine D1 DAC and Audioengine A2s with the DS1 stands. It's a very clean setup.

My stereo and HT speakers are all B&W, and that my manufacturer of choice, but the Audioengine setup is impressive.