Best in ear headphones for iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by StrangeMagic, May 29, 2011.

1. StrangeMagic macrumors newbie

What is the best value for in ear headphones for the iphone?

I had the Klipsch S4i last and they sounded great but they were not durable.

About six months after I received them, the wire that attaches to one of the ear buds came apart. Since they were under warranty, I sent them back to Klipsch and get a replacement pair. The replacement pair also broke.

I'm looking for something customized for the iphone with a great sound, that are not fragile and not too expensive. I'm looking to spend around $100.

There is so much out there and I am curious as to what the regulars here have to say and which come highly recommended. Also, I'm curious to hear from those who had the Klipsch S4I and what their experience was.

Thanks.

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Please use MRoogle since there are already number of threads with a lot of good answers about this topic.

3. frunk macrumors member

liek i ttly think joo shud get teh beatz by dre.

4. StrangeMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

What is mroogle? This is the "iphone accessories" forum so I don't understand what the problem is. And yes i did search for other threads but none that i found addressed durability and specifically the Klipsch s4i

5. meechy macrumors 6502

wtf?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i use the klipsch s4i's im not trying to be a douche but were you using the metal carrying box when not using them?, how did the wire come apart just hanging out of your ear?

and MRoogle i think he was just being cheecky saying use the MR search button, there are many inear headphone threads

7. StrangeMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

I never got a metal carrying case. I got a cloth pouch. No, I didn't use it. Most of the time, it was in my iphone.

The bottom line is that they weren't very durable. The wire isn't very thick. I upgraded from the apple earbuds because I wanted superior sound but, to me, the apple earbuds seem more durable as they never broke.

Anyway, if you could recommend a good quality set of earbuds that are durable.

I've read about Shure and I'm considering Bose too but i've heard mixed reviews about the Bose. I also had a pair of over ear headphones from Bose which lasted quite a while but the quality wasn't as good as I expected.

8. frunk macrumors member

All jokes aside, I have the a-Jays 4, and they're holding up fairly well. I've never ripped headphones in my life, but I do feel like the a-Jays and their think wire are among the most durable I've seen.

The fit of the earbuds is a bit weird, but if you have the money, get some comply foam ear tips. That'll increase performance DRASTICALLY.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im also looking for some headphones for an iPhone 4 where the remote and mic actually works, I've been looking into the klipsch s4i but haven't been able to work out if they're fully compatible before I go and order them.

10. StrangeMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Another problem I had with the Klipsch is that the tracks didn't skip via the controls. It controlled the volume but not the tracks. I used it with both the Iphone 3G and 4G.

Does anybody know anything about the Bose? I'm sort of on the fence between Bose and also Shure (the ones that cost around or just over $100)

11. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

Shure 215

Well, you can't get the best for $100, but the Shure SE215 will come close, and the cable is replaceable.

Other audio forums highly rate the SE215.

Don't do the SE210 or SE115 as they are both discontinued, and do not have the replaceable cable. The SE115 would sound similar, but the SE210 while incredible clean sound has little base.

I've also dealt with shure customer service, and they were very good, they replaced a 4 year old pair of E2C headphones for a small fee due to cord failure.

Also keep in mind with any headphone, the opinion is based on your personal preferences, make sure that wherever you buy/order from, you can return with no hassle. My wife loves her Dr. Dre Solo, my daughter doesn't like them, she prefers a similarly priced Audio Technica.

Michael

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes i have the s4i's and they work great on the iphone 4, totally recomend them

there is three buttons on the remote, up down is obvious for volume the centre button, single press is pause/play, double press is next track tripple press is previous track

13. StrangeMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Michael. Does the SE215 have the inline mic and controls? I didn't see it on the product description on Amazon.

14. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

This is exactly my dilemma

16. Tix macrumors newbie

I've never tried to A-jays 4, but I've tried other sets by them and they sounded great. They have flat cables too (some do at least).
    Right now, I just use the in-ears by Apple with the whoomp tips by same people who make comply foam. I'm waiting for this set to die before I buy new earphones, but I'll always buy tips by comply. They're really comfy

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

really mine controls the tracks i think its double press the center button for next track tripple click for previous

18. ac921ol macrumors regular

So do the s4i actually work with i4??
    What else do you guys recommend? Looking for something while I go running.

Thanks

19. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Works great for me!