Best In-Ear Headphones With Mic (2G Touch) out right now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by pismodude2, Dec 1, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Ok. Normally I'm not a stickler for audio quality (my two year usage of the 1st gen Apple standard earphones would attest to that fact :D), but I seem to have finally run into a consistently awful low-quality audio issue in the world of in-ear headphones with built-in mics for the iPhone, newest iPod Touch, or new iPod Nano. I am currently using these Macally ones which sound ok, but not as good as dedicated headphones.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any relatively good sounding in-ear phones with built-in mic. that are $25 or less, thanks in advance!

P.S. It might not be the headphones fault- the iPod Touch 2G knows when you hook up a headset vs. headphones (it saves your volume setting from each one: headphones, headset, and speaker), and it may be the reason for the reduction of the audio quality, which would really suck...

2. HelloMotto macrumors newbie

the best one i can think of for around $25 is Sennheiser CX300.
    I don't have it but people say its got pretty decent sound isolator, very good bass and an overall great headphone for its price.
    But it dosen't have a built-in mic. :(

if you can somehow get another $25, i would go with Denon C551.

note: if you do decide to buy cx300 dont buy from ebay. Theres so many fakes out there particularly for the cs300.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

4. ZOMG macrumors newbie

The ones on apple.com are $79 and they look good but it says coming soon so you might have to wait a while but it will probably be worth it.

Plus if you have a mic build in you can use fring to make phone calls from your touch

5. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

break news this time.

finally, we know shipping date now. for regular stock earbuds w/mic, it will be 3-4 weeks. for new in-earphone, it will be 7-10 business days from today. so possibly we can get earphone next week.

6. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Again (see other thread) I say, HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):) Sooooo Getting them.

7. fasequeira macrumors newbie

If you're looking for a good mic and a good pair of phones, I second Muncher's comment.

I have the Smarttalk mic adapter which works quite well and is also very small. Then you can use whatever headphones you like and not be restricted to a 'decent' combination all-in-one.

8. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Sorry, but I'm interested in discussing strictly 'all-in-one' combos. I used an adapter for a while, and I must say it is frustrating to either have an extra three feet of wires flopping around your neck or to have to take it out whenever you want to use the mic. Hopefully the Apple ones will do the trick! ;)

9. Touchy macrumors regular

I am wondering how the mic on the new Apple headset will be used? Where does the audio go and what can it do? For instance will it be able to record locations (spoken lat/lon) for those apps that now require GPS location? What other functions would the mic be used for? Please advise.

10. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

1st of all, and keep this in mind: The Apple In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic. are no different than the others that are out now :eek:. They just have better audio quality (supposedly) and volume controls (which are on select other earbuds as well).

2nd, They (and all other headphone/mic combos) can do only what developers of the apps in the app store add. Ex: Fring lets you make VoIP calls through your iPod Touch (if you have a VoIP/SIP account).

3rd, Someone could come up with an app that does exactly what you suggest, but as far as I know they haven't yet. ;)

11. ardee macrumors newbie

So, Apple's cost $79? For that price, does anybody know who they're really made by?

E.g., Shure, Etymotic, or one of the other medium/high-end in-ear brands?

12. Touchy macrumors regular

Thanks for information. Maybe the apps will evolve to include the audio function at some point. What has been the experience with using similar audio input with other mics. I don't recall seeing any discussions about this on the forum. If I missed it please point me in the right direction.