Best in-ear headset with mic and controls?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Faize, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Faize macrumors member

I'm looking for a reasonably good sounding $40-$80 iPhone headset that will be able to survive through the remaining year and 2 months of my contract. This headset will be replacing the Klipsch S4i, which sounds great but has horrible build quality - after sending them in for repairs 4 times within 10 months of ownership, I decided to cut my losses and just sell them.

Right now I'm testing out the Sennheiser i300, but I'm not exactly impressed with them for a variety of reasons and will probably be returning them.

Suggestions, anyone?

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

had the i300s, tried a couple versions of skull candy and believe it or not, I am now on my 3rd Apple set. I hated the way the skull candy would seal in my ears for their 'isolation' feature and I could hear myself breathing.
    I just like the apple headset, personally. It's not bad for $30. I always wanted the bose in-ear headset but they're just headphones.

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I really like the Zagg Smartbuds, and you can often get 50% codes.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Bose does have an iPhone headset: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=..._ear_headphones/index.jsp&model=mie2i_headset

It's a bit pricy, but the sound quality is excellent, and it's practically indestructible. I've tried many in-ear phone sets, and they all gave out within a few months, but Bose has lasted me over a year and going, with no sign of wearing down in any way.

5. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

6. yrrej macrumors regular

i have the a jay fours. i love them, but after only 7 months the right side has completely stopped working. i am currently in the process of getting them warrantied. i love the tangle free cords and the design. overall i recommend them

however, i would not say they have "amazing" sound or anywhere close to it. the sound is decent for everyday earphones and that's good enough for me.

7. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

I have Etymotic HF3's and love 'em. Can wear them in front or behind the ear too!

8. TheLegend macrumors member

TheLegend

9. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

over 100 Bowers & Wilkins C5. For under 100 the klipsch s4i

10. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I have two sets the jay fours and the klipsch s4i. I found the s4i to give far superior sound quality and comfort (When inserted in "secure" mode at least, with the bud actually resting fully inside the ear). Both work great in terms of ipod controls though I also found that my jay fours periodically needed to be removed/reinserted before the ipod controls would function properly.

Between the two, I think the klipsch is a better buy - though the flat cord on the jay fours was a nice plus (the klipsch tends to get a bit tangled, though I've found that using one of my wife's small hair berettes keeps it fairly well wrapped and organized). Can't really go wrong with either one honestly.

The biggest diff really is in the connector: if you're using a fashion case (i.e. element vapor, atomic hybrid etc) you would probably be better off with the klipsch as the connector is a straight piece rather than the 90 degree angle of the jays...the jays fits my hybrid but just barely.

11. gokart mozart, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Even at that price, the Beats are trash compared to the AJays 4 and Klipsch S4is. Beats don't sound any better than the "high end" skullcandies, which are much cheaper. Not to mention they fall apart after a month.

Lately, for the price, I've been curious about Vmoda Remixes. They seem to get decent enough reviews, but I can't find a demo pair in stores.

12. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I know these are out of the price range you were asking for, but I have the HF3's as well. Worth saving up for. Incredible sound. I've heard details in the music I listen to that I've never heard before. You might read about people complaining about the lack of bass with these. If you get them in your ears properly (which isn't hard) you get plenty of bass.

13. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i cant send you a PM, but how are these BOSE MIE2i? I plan on buyin' one of these soon

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what I can tell you other than what I already wrote. I love them, the sound is excellent, they are really comfortable to wear, and very durable. I don't think they are that expensive either, considering how long they last -- I had two $30-50 earphones fail on me within half a year, if I kept buying more of them, I'd quickly spend more than I did on the Bose.

15. eldervovichka macrumors regular

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I agree my plug started going bad. but I have had a lot of bad headphones and these outlasted most. the sounds is good but not great but for the price they are good. how did you get them warrantied? the site seems to say they don't really have a warranty.

17. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

just bought bose ie2, decided not to get Mie2i since i go lifting and i've been reading reviews that the volume rocker gets messed up after awhile :x..

[​IMG]

18. yrrej macrumors regular

i emailed the website and they sent me another pair. the thing is the warrantied pair (which were brand new) broke within 3 weeks. i emailed them again and they overnighted me a pair right away. we'll see how they turn out.