Best inexpensive, full-sized mouse for music production

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 13ms13, Jun 3, 2010.

1. 13ms13 macrumors member

I love the multitouch trackpad on my MacBook pro for everyday use, but not so much for editing music.

I've just ordered more RAM and a new hard drive for my laptop and that's why I want the mouse in the $0-$35 price range (I've seen Microsoft, HP and Logitech mice in this range). It has to be a full-sized, ergonomic mouse with at least one additional (thumb) button.

I do a lot of right-left scrolling, so I guess a scroll ball would be nice. However, scroll wheels are excellent, so I'm not really sure what's better; if all scroll balls get stuck as often as the Mighty Mouse scroll ball does, then I'll just use double-finger internal scrolling with my left hand. EDIT: mice with scroll balls are nearly impossible to find, so don't bother :)

It would great if it could be a regular wireless mouse and a bluetooth mouse would be just awesome.

2. 13ms13 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll purchase an older-series Logitech mouse (the MX1100 I think, for 40$). It's full-sized and has a lot of functions, including side scrolling.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

The Logitech MX Revolution mouse may be what you need. Might be a few more $$, though.

I've found the thumbwheel to be very useful for scrolling forward or backward through the audio timeline. You'll probably need something like "USB Overdrive" or "Steermouse" to get it to do that, however.

4. 13ms13 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I knew the MX Revolution before - it is perfect for my needs. If I weren't a student, I'd buy it immediately :) It's just that I can name so many things I'd be able to buy for the price difference. But if the mouse is that good, then I think my best bet is to go to a store and try it out myself.

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I have a last-gen Microsoft IntelliMouse currently on the way. Having tried out many mice in several stores, these older MS mice are the only ones that seem big enough for me. If you're still shopping around in a few days, I'll chime back in once I've had a chance to use it for a bit.

(Also, did you know that you can scroll horizontally by holding down the shift key?:cool: Honestly, I like that a lot better than a scroll ball, where you'll be accidentally scrolling horizontally more often than not.)