Best inexpensive Thunderbolt SSD Adapter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dandingo, Oct 27, 2014.

1. dandingo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

After a lot of deliberation, I've decided on a 27" iMac for my photography business and am picking up a used one tomorrow. The problem is it has no SSD and I can't go back to anything but after using one. As most of you know, they're a must-have.

My question is is the Seagate thunderbolt adapter the cheapest option to get an SSD running as a boot drive? I know I can do USB 3.0 but I've read that it can be hard on the processor and I'm not ecstatic about spending $100+ for a Seagate TB adapter and another $30 for a TB cable! Insane!

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The main reason you want to avoid USB3 because it doesn't support TRIM.

If you're using the external SSD to boot the iMac, you probably don't need the portability of a bus-powered enclosure like the Seagate.

I've been using the Delock 42490 TB enclosure for the past 8 months and can recommend it highly. It is AC-powered and very light aluminum construction You can see some benchmarks of it in my review of the Inateck FEU3NS-1E UASP enclosure.

3. jdsmooooth macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I'm sorry for the late reply.. Work has gotten crazy and my pregnant wife has been ill.

In the interim my iMac with 3TB Fusion Drive has shipped. I think ultimately I'm going to start with this and go to an external SSD if necessary at a later time. I can see that there can be a significant performance boost by going all SSD... I love the SSD in my MacBook Air. However, the need for more storage vs. cost relationship on my family's desktop was just a little more than I was willing to spend currently.

If within 14 days I'm unhappy with the performance of the machine I ordered.. I can always return it and restart.

Thanks again for all of your input. I really weighed it all.. and still am.
    :)