Best Ink-efficient Printer recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GuyInTheBack, Aug 16, 2011.

1. GuyInTheBack macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

After years of printing at my college's expense, I finally have to buy one of those.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a printer that is:

- easy to set up to a mac
    (Macbook pro; old, all-silver generation)

- Ink-efficient? (I know that's where the bulk of printer-expenses go....I need those ink cartridges to LAST)

And if it's not an eyesore or bundled up in wires, that's just gravy. :D

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

The printer I have has been great so far. Each color is its own cartridge, making it very efficient. HP Officejet 6500 E709n. This model is slightly old however. I'd generally recommend any HP printer. I've had a few and they've all been spectacular.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you can live without color, get a cheap b/w laser printer. The cost pet page is much lower than ink. I'd recommend Brother personally.

4. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

I definitely think I'll need color.

Doesn't the individual color cartridge thing end up being more expensive in the long haul?

I did get a recommendation to go for a printer with cheap cartrideges available on eBay...Im just not sure which printer fits that bill.

5. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Ooh and wireless! I may be asking for the moon here but I would really like to avoid another set of wires in my small-ass office.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Buy the Brother HL3070CN; it's a color laser, prints nice color (not photo perfect but very good -- use Costco for pictures, cheaper and better), thus the ink lasts quite a while (Amazon for refills), and it's Wireless! My local best buy has them for $169.

7. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Thanks!

I rarely/never print pictures anyway. Just a few color docs here and there - 85% of my output is B&W text.

How long do the cartridges usually last you? And what are the chances of them being discontinued soon after purchase (past experience) :D