Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwa898

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hey everyone,
I finally got the courage to hack my iPhone with installer.app. I was just curious what you all's favorite programs were?

bshell

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2005
Vancouver, CANADA
Dictionary, etc.

While I've got a bunch on my phone the only one I truly find I use in day to day use are weDict (the dictionary) which can be set up with a lot of features now such as thesaurus, etymology, and translation. I'm also using iSolitaire. Labyrinth and iLevel are fun to have on the device to show off the accelerometer. Sketches is fun for kids. Oblique can be fun at parties or meetings. If you are a geek then a Terminal program is a must.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I think the level is cool but since I'm no carpenter I havent had a chance to use it.

The wallpaper app is neat but its way to slow moving to see many in a short time.

Nes is a must try.

Customise of course.

Labyrinth to show off your iphone motion sensor.

Currently also using leftover to track my spending.

If you chat often the aim, yahoo, or msn messengers.

marcelo002

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Owego, NY
Just hacked my iPhone a couple weeks ago.
I've tried to test almost everything out there, but the ones I've kept are:

Summerboard (Louis Mantia Holiday Theme until after the holidays, then back to Phiberglass)
IPhysics - my favorite app. Besides the ever increasing number of levels, I can spend hours just playing in the sandbox mode.
ScummVM - Because Monkey Island brings back memories.
ApolloIM - This is the only hacked program that actually made it in my first page of apps along with the official ones.
Tap Tap revolution- Always fun, if you can get the right type of song ( I recommend Europe's 'Final Countdown')
Labyrinth - great to show off the iPhone's features

Other assorted goodies: Sodoku, Solitaire, WeDict, blackjack, Services, dropcopy, and 5-Dice

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
A couple I haven't seen mentioned that I like are

iFlix - if you have NetFlix, you need this app. View and re-arrange your queue on your phone. Plus it looks great.

MobileCast - download and play podcasts directly on the phone without going via iTunes. Not much use if you plan to sync regularly, but great if you are not for some reason (stuck in an airport, whatever). The latest version adds video podcasts (though it's not yet on installer).

NetServices - like Services.app, but with more toggle switches, so you can toggle stuff like FireFly (iTunes streaming), Apache/lighthttpd web server, SSH, AFP, Auto-lock, etc, etc. It only displays what you have installed. Plus it shows your IP address, so no need to dig down through Settings in order to check it when you connect with SSH.

AFP with Bonjour - I've just got this so haven't played with it much, but you can now connect to the phone with AFP. So with Bonjour on as well, your phone just automagically shows up (in leopard at least) in the list of servers so you can transfer files without resorting to SSH.

gPSPhone - play GBA games. Still not 100% but getting there.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
AFP with Bonjour - I've just got this so haven't played with it much, but you can now connect to the phone with AFP. So with Bonjour on as well, your phone just automagically shows up (in leopard at least) in the list of servers so you can transfer files without resorting to SSH.

This was Erica's newest work right? does it really work well?

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I got the AFP/w/Bonjour from the same installer source as NetServices.app. It definately works, and can transfer files. I did have a small problem where I put an app on and it didn't run properly (but did when I put it on with SSH), but that may have been my fault, not sure, I'll need to test more.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
I got the AFP/w/Bonjour from the same installer source as NetServices.app. It definately works, and can transfer files. I did have a small problem where I put an app on and it didn't run properly (but did when I put it on with SSH), but that may have been my fault, not sure, I'll need to test more.

That may have been a problem with your permissions I think...

Care to give the source of these repositories? ;)

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Source is CopyCoders:
http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/index.html
http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/copycoders.xml

Thread including full install instructions etc is here:
http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103450

Re: permissions - yeah that's what I thought but I did a quick check with MobileTerminal and it all looked OK after the AFP transfer? As I said, I'll need to try it again soon, it may have just needed a restart of springboard or something...

Definitely will try it out, thanks.

If it's not permissions, then definitely try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.