Best insurance for iPhone - liquid/spills/loss/theft?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dtcdtcdtc, Jul 24, 2016.

1. dtcdtcdtc macrumors newbie

Years ago, I signed up for Mobile Phone insurance on AT&T for a samsung phone I had. Back then, the plan was $5.99/mo and the deductible was $50. I liked it because it covered liquid - and I'm accident prone and frequently on boats.

I took the time to look through my plan and it is now $7.99/mo and the deductible is $225. WHOA.

Now, granted, the replacement value for my phone is $749 - but sheesh. There's got to be a better deal out there!

Things I'm looking for: coverage for liquid, coverage for loss & theft

GoCare doesn't seem to cover loss/theft (I think)
    SquareTrade doesn't seem to cover loss/theft
    insureappleiphone has some mixed reviews here (I think I saw a post where someone received a bad used phone through their claim.)

Any other suggestions?

2. itsray macrumors 6502

i think only your carrier covers lost/theft. everything else doesnt.

3. Turnpike, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I highly recommend paying for the phone outright and covering your own damages, if you can afford it. In the long run you'd be much farther ahead.

4. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Most cost effective 'insurance' is either squaretrade or AppleCare.

Loss or theft is a pricey option and you should rethink carefully if you want that.

5. itsray macrumors 6502

you're rambling way too much. this is not what he asked. i know its sunday. maybe not answer when you're drunk lol.

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Also, Paragraphs do work wonders. Didn't bother to read. Too difficult

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Self-insure. Unless you expect accidental damage, loss or theft to be a frequent phenomenon (e.g. at least once a year), putting that $7.99/mo and $225 deductible into a savings account should get you enough for an upgraded replacement for the occasional accident or loss. After just 1 year, the monthly premiums and deductible is sufficient to pay for an out-of-warranty replacement from Apple in case of accidental damage.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You seem to have control issues... :eek:

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Depends how you treat your phones. My wife is brutal with all the phones. Drops, spills. Taking pics in the pool/beach (we live in Florida with pool and beach access).

I call her the black widow of electronics. So for her i went with square trade.

Keep in mind square trade it may take X amount of days to get ur phone fixed cause Apple stores are getting horrible getting an appt (in orlando area sometimes a 5-7 day wait for appt). Have a spare phone in hand.

If you went with apple care they will get u a phone overnight.

10. MS_Hedrick macrumors member

MS_Hedrick

--- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2016 ---
    Sorry for blank post.

God, I'm retarded :)

Like the OP, I was looking for insurance.

The self insure replies make more sense, and do offer the OP another option. Bust your phone, it will find a new home on eBay. You can sell a used spatula on eBay, if you're so inclined.

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Same here...too much trouble to read. Dunno if it was on topic or not.

12. Turnpike, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I agree with others:
    • If you need theft/loss coverage, Asurion coverage through carriers pretty much only choice--and an expensive one.
    • Otherwise, put a solid case/screen protector on it and self-insure--put aside money every month until you've saved up enough to replace.