Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pred02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Hi,

I live in the UK. I purchased the XS Max 256GB from an Apple store in the US when over there visiting family over Christmas. Phone worked fine for the first 7 days, then it started to go into the reboot and shutoff issue.

I had the phone replaced under warranty at the Apple Store in London. As it's US based had to wait a week for them to ship the phone from the US but now got the XS Max back.

I want to invest into some sort of insurance against damage and theft:
1. Apple Care + is $300 over 2 years but if the phone is stolen they will only ship a replacement to the US
2. I have content coverage insurance that has £150 excess and covers devices up to £2000. However, if I use it will eliminate my no claims discount and push up insurance price
3. There is also third party insurance in London, but not sure if it is good?

Getting AppleCare+ and then using content insurance in case of theft might seem like a good option?

What are others doing?

Thanks

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
As someone who has never bought AppleCare and does not believe in extended warranties (iPhone owner from 3GS-, iPad owner from 4th gen-, Mac owner since original Mac mini-), I got it for my XS. And I thought $199 was expensive!

Generally 3rd party "insurance" are junk. And if you have your own insurance, whats the point of paying for it if you never want to make a claim?

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Getting AppleCare+ and then using content insurance in case of theft might seem like a good option?

This. You’re far more likely to drop/damage your phone than someone stealing it. Let your contents insurance cover anyone nicking it.

AppleCare+ works out at just over £8/month. That’s very comparable to dedicated mobile phone insurance. AppleCare support is excellent. A simple Support Chat with Apple support if you damage your phone is all that is required to kick off an Express replacement for an ‘as new’ Apple refurbished phone. Usually this is next day service.

With mobile phone insurance, you’re at the mercy at how long they take to process your claim and what state a replacement phone will be that they will send you.

The only thing mobile phone insurance will give you extra is accessory cover (AirPods for example). AppleCare probably doesn’t...but I’ve never tested that theory.

pred02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Thank. I bought AppleCare+ and will increase coverage on my content insurance to cover the gadget under in case of theft.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Hi,

I live in the UK. I purchased the XS Max 256GB from an Apple store in the US when over there visiting family over Christmas. Phone worked fine for the first 7 days, then it started to go into the reboot and shutoff issue.

I had the phone replaced under warranty at the Apple Store in London. As it's US based had to wait a week for them to ship the phone from the US but now got the XS Max back.

I want to invest into some sort of insurance against damage and theft:
1. Apple Care + is $300 over 2 years but if the phone is stolen they will only ship a replacement to the US
2. I have content coverage insurance that has £150 excess and covers devices up to £2000. However, if I use it will eliminate my no claims discount and push up insurance price
3. There is also third party insurance in London, but not sure if it is good?

What are others doing?

Thanks
Wait, so you have insurance you pay premiums for but don’t want to use it because premium will go up. You perfect insurance customer. Pay premiums, don’t use insurance. Win win for insurance company.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not for me

I pay £21 a month on EE for my max and iPad Pro 12.9 with £100 excess which covers any damage and getting stolen

You also get a replacement delivered to you next day

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have Apple care on my XS. I can rest assured that if it’s damaged Apple will take care of me. I wouldn’t trust any other insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.