Best internal hard drive to add to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jameskohn, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I'm just dealing with a not very good experience with a Segate 500GB internal hard drive. Rather than repeating the same mistake again, I'd like to know what is out there that people are having great experiences with. I want to use it for all of my photos and videos. (iLife '08, Photoshop, iMovie '08, AVCHD video editing, etc..) in Leopard.

The Seagate I'm trying (ST3500630AS) from Newegg works, but not particularly well. It's noisy, slow, and it spins up even when I'm not using it. There must be a better solution, something comparable to what came with my mac pro.

Does it make more sense just to buy one 750GB drive and put everything on one drive? Right now I only have a total 200GB in use, but now that I'm working with HD video hard drive space will begin to get gobbled up at a much quicker pace. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I believe Hitachi is coming out with a 1 TB drive that will work in the Mac Pro. I want to get one...

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I bought a 160GB Seagate drive a couple years ago - it suffered a catastrophic failure and I ended up blowing it apart with a 12 gauge (I'm not kidding...though it was done on a rifle range with proper safety precautions :))

I have so far had good luck with Hitachi drives, and other than the aforementioned 160GB drive Seagate has been good to me as well. A friend of mine swears by Western Digital, and has for or five of them, including a couple Raptors. I haven't had any experience with Maxtor drives.

I think all the major manufacturers make decent drives though...it comes down mostly to price and availability.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I have to 2nd the WD Raptors. Amazing performance!

6. JPJones macrumors member

I've been a big fan of WD but I've heard their quality has gone down in previous years. Hopefully that's not so because the Raptors do sound cool.

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if by "sound cool" you mean have a loud ramp-up then yes, they sound cool ;)

I've had good luck with both Seagate and WD. When I order a MP, I'm going to get a couple of 500gb RE2 WD drives for an internal RAID.

8. bigbird macrumors 6502

I replaced both original failed IBM drives in my Powermac G4 733 D/A with Seagate ATA 120 GB drives. Never had a problem and I don't find them excessively noisy. I'd buy Seagate again.

9. jameskohn thread starter macrumors 6502

What are the ones in the Apple Store online? They're incredibly expensive, but is there anything special about them?

Unfortunately neither Newegg or OWC offer much in the way of sales support, so there is nobody there to talk to about this. I've got to believe there is a better solution than the Seagate I have now. A particular model of Seagate perhaps? When I look around, there are a whole bunch of different model #'s for what seems to be the same 500GB 3.5" SATA internal drive. Very confusing!!

My RMA# from Newegg for this drive is good for 14 days. This gives me a little time to decide on a new one, get it, install it, transfer the data, and send this one back to Newegg. I'd hate to go through all of that and not be any better off than I am now!

10. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Raptor 150gb(two raided if you can spend it) for your boot drive/etc with a mass storage hard drive(500gb plus) for your "extra data"

11. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

... not to mention their support. :(

12. Nick T. macrumors regular

I’ve built several Windows boxes using Western Digital drives; WD1500 150GB 10k RPM Raptor boot drives and WD5000 600GB Caviar data drives. Very fast, very quiet.

I plan on replacing the standard Mac Pro drive with these Western Digital drives - - just as soon as Apple releases the new version Mac Pro.