Best internal hard drive to get for my iMac from this list

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shambock, Mar 16, 2010.

1. shambock macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2010
    Hey everyone,

After recent problems with my iMac hard drive, i've decided to just have the hard drive replaced rather than taking it to a genius bar to do it and charging me excess amounts of cash.

I just need a bit of advice about which hard drive to get. I found a company here in the UK,, that can install a new drive for me and these are the options I have on the drive:

Money is kinda tight at the moment, so if either Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB 3.5in SATA II 32MB (£62.14) or IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar 7K1000.C SATAII 1TB (1000GB) 16MB (£66.92) is a decent one to get then that would be great. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can stretch to one of the more pricey ones. :eek:

thanks a lot
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    They are both okay. I like Western Digital the most but Seagate and Hitachi are good as well, Apple even uses them in iMacs
  3. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Yeah, either of those should be more than fine. The Seagate, however, offers a 5 year warranty, while the Hitachi has only a 3 year warranty (their UltraStar series have 5 year warranties, but not the DeskStar), so I would go for that one. Both are good about actually honoring their warranties and not trying to weasel out, too.

4. MacVibe macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2009
    I just put one of those seagate drives into a 2006 Imac and it is performing well. My purchasing decision was driven by price and the 750 seemed to be a sweet spot a few weeks ago but these things keep getting cheaper.

The install was not easy at all, I think the newer Imacs have a much easier way to replace it so I hope you have a newer model!