Best Internal HD for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Illmetaphor, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Illmetaphor macrumors member

I am running a Mac Pro 2009 and want to add another internal to my tower myself . I'm looking for something that's known for good speed with video editing/motion graphics.

Suggestions please!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. Illmetaphor thread starter macrumors member

Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Retail
    Item #: N82E16822136337

What do you think of this one I found on NewEgg. It has gotten better reviews than the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB I was previously suggested.

Are there any compatibility issues with this?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will suffice unless you edit uncompressed HD footage.

Current HDDs don't differ that much especially when they have the same specs like buffer size and RPM and S-ATA 3.0.

What do you want to edit/compose by the way? SD, HD, compressed, uncompressed? Do you use a capture card or do you work with files?

5. Illmetaphor thread starter macrumors member

Right now I edit all kinds of video...but yeah I'm looking for something that works well compressed or uncompressed HD files. I have a Canon HF S-10. I am planning on getting another camera here soon and might get one that shoots to tape/p2 card.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I assume you use the FCS solution, thus you mean the ProRes family with wanting to edit uncompressed, for which you need a RAID.

I doubt though, that you will edit uncompressed with that kind of camera as it delivers highly compressed footage.
    And Panasonic's P2 cameras deliver compressed footage too, using AVC/H264 as a codec.

Here is a graphic, put forth by Apple, to showcase the bit rate of the various ProRes codecs.
    8Mbit/s = 1MByte/s

[​IMG]
    from http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/apple-prores.html

Here is a document about the storage requirements using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2704

7. Illmetaphor thread starter macrumors member

Yes..I run Final Cut Studio. Can you suggest a particular RAID Internal in the 100-150 dollar range. I don't want to pick the wrong one and have to return it. Need one ASAP.

Thanks...you have been extremely helpful.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Mac Pro offers Software Raid.
    Thread.

Any current HDD will do, just use two of the same brand and model.

I recently bought two Seagates and they work just fine, but they get used for UNCOMPRESSSED footage, so you might not need that, as I, and bigbossbomb might agree, don't see you having the need to edit UNCOMPRESSED, as the camera you use uses quite the compression, and you will not get/gain more information out of the material by using UNCOMPRESSED footage.

Current HDDs deliver around 100MB/s, something AIC and ProRes can live with, unless you want to edit uncompressed.

But maybe bigbossbomb has something more to say, as he has more experience with that.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Seriously... you do NOT want to edit uncompressed... unless you know for a fact (ie have a legitimate/professional reason to) edit uncompressed, then you don't... end of story