Best Internal hdd for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sud, Apr 26, 2008.

1. sud macrumors regular

This is probably the best place to ask then, I am looking to upgrade my internal drive in the MacBook Pro, I was one of the lucky ones who bought a new MacBook Pro about 2 months b4 the line was upgraded to the larger drives. I will be using Final Cut Studio 2 with Shake a bit later on which, hard drive would you recommend? I was reading that the Samsung 320gb is a good option while the seek times are a bit slow the internal transfer was of the fastest. I wold probably go the full install on the internal which I think is 55gb I also have about 5gb of photos and 4gb music amongst office and games which amount to about another 5gb.

Just one last question, when editing video using FCP is it better to keep all the video on an external FW drive that i am editing I read that you should not keep FCP on the same drive as the media is kept for performance reasons?

Thanks

Sud

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend the Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT 320GB for the internal -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

And concerning using an external HD - I'd agree w/ spreading out over multiple HDs - not just for performance reasons but also to not have all your eggs in one basket

3. sud thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, now the big task of swapping out the drive, done it before on a Power Book G4 some 2 years ago!