Best Internal SATA III Controller for DX4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NoManIsland, Mar 27, 2011.

1. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I am looking at getting the DX4 from TransInternational, and I want to choose a 4 internal port SATA III controller to pair with it, as it will eventually be filled with SSDs. I'm looking for any recommendations here, preferably around the $300 range. I have no desire for RAID functionality, and in fact I'd prefer to do without it (the less complicated, more reliable). Based on the feedback I've gotten here, I don't trust the controller they offer to pair up with it.

2. NoManIsland, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Would this work for what I'm trying to do? I know it isn't SATA III, but I can't seem to find one in any of my usual retailers.

What about this for a cheaper solution? Still not SATA III, but temptingly cheap.

This has SATA III, is cheap, but I've heard bad things about Highpoint - any experiences?

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The only thing I can offer is I have a Highpoint 2720 in my hackintosh and it has been working wonderfully in OS X. Unfortunately I don't have any SATAIII disks to test anything, but the card works in OS X although it isn't officially supported by Highpoint (the 2722 is, but those drivers work for the 2720).

4. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that looks like a great option! Does what I need, below budget. Anyone else have experience with this card? Especially in a normal MP?

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I have tried ATTO and Arcea internal sata 3 cards in my MP and the only one that would boot OSX was the ATTO and that had issues on reboot. You had to power down wait a bit and then power back up, so it was impractical to a great extent.

6. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I won't be using the array for a boot drive, rather to house my sample library; do you think that the Atto or Arcea cards would cause problems in that usage scenario?