Best Internal SSD for 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Eddiesalsa, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Eddiesalsa macrumors newbie

Good morning,

I apologize if this inquiry has been answered before but I searched the forum and could not find the answer.

What is the best internal SSD for a 2011 27in iMac? Is a 256GB sufficient size or a 512GB is the best route?

I use Aperture as my main photo application, along various application and VM Ware for boot camp. I also have about 500GB worth of music in iTunes.

I want to add an SSD but want to make sure i get the correct type and size.

Any advise or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Eddiesalsa

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

OWC and Intel are typically the recommended brands.
    As for size, that all depends. It sounds like you have need more storage than 512GB. Perhaps you could get a small SSD for a boot/Windows drive (100-150GB), and get an enclosure for your old Hard Drive and use that for your iTunes Library and other files that don't require Solid State.

3. Eddiesalsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback MisterKeeks. So to run the apps I don't need a large SSD and can use the current internal 1TB for all my personal documents, files and iTunes.

Should I consider in the near future to move my iTunes library to an external drive (USB 3.0 via Belkin new thunderbolt dock)

Which OWC SSD model should I consider?

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i prefer samsung drives over intel and owc, because they cost less, and apple uses samsungs in their own systems. the 830 and 840 pro are both good models if you have the extra money to spend on the 512gig models

5. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

I personally would recommend something that is NOT SandForce based, so this takes away both Intel and OWC.

I really like the Marvell and Samsung controllers. The Plextor (Marvel 9187 based) will have a 5 year warranty as does the new Samsung 840 Pro. Here are my top 5 SSDs in terms of speed, warranty, and reliability. SandForce has been proven over time that it isn't the most reliable.

1. Plextor M5P (Marvell 9187)
    2. Samsung 840 Pro (Samsung MDX)
    3. Samsung 840 or Plextor M5S (Samsung MDX & Marvel 9174)
    4. Samsung 830 (Samsung 1st Gen MDX)

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

The samsung 830 is a better drive than the samsung 840. So you should flip those in your numbering. The 830 and the 840 Pro are more equal.