Best Internet Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Itzmemark, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Itzmemark macrumors member

I am a big fan of safari but seems that it messes up with youtube and some other sites any ideas?

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I just started using Chrome, and like it. It feels like an app Apple would build. It's simple to use, well designed, fast, and there's plenty of extensions available.

Firefox is another good option. Like Chrome, it has plenty of great extensions, and really, that's always been one of its best features.

Both are good browsers, I'd suggest downloading both and try them out for yourself. They're free, after all...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

As for browsers, you may find some useful information in some of the many existing threads, such as these:

thoughts on browsers?
    Which Web Browser do you use?
    What Browser Do You Use, and Why?
    Poll - Which web browser do you use?
    Which browser is best (Chrome or Safari) on the Air?
    What browser are you using?
    Anyone using Safari 5.1 as their main browser?
    Is the new safari still an inferior browser?
    Which browser are you using with 10.7?
    Who uses Safari as their main Internet Browser?
    Which is the better internet browser for Lion?

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

"Best" is an extremely subjective term when applied to web browsers. One person's "best" might very well be another person's "worst". I, personally, use Google Chrome for 98% of my browsing needs. However, I suggest you also try other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, in addition to Chrome and see which of those offer the most/best features and which work best for you.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Somebody down voted this post.

I'm just trying to figure out what tortured logic led to such behavior. Someone tries to offer help, goes to the trouble of providing multiple links to help the OP...and some genius down votes it.

(I know down voting doesn't really mean squat, and that GGJ could care less...but it just amazes me!)

Truly astounding...see my sig.

6. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

Thank you I see I have some reading to do....

----------

WOW this is more than I could ask for thank you so much

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm a Safari guy but right now i'm using Chrome and getting to know its features somewhat.

Both browsers have their plusses and minuses. Here's just a quick observation.

Speed and Memory performance:

Chrome edges Safari in speed but clobbers it in memory management. The primary reason why I'm using Chrome right now more is because it doesn't balloon up and take 700MB of RAM after i've watched a few Youtube videos and browsed around a bit.

Integration with OS X

Safari is tough to beat here. Reading List and Reader are features I use all the time now. iCloud sync of my bookmarks is trouble free for me.

Chrome has some bookmark sync features but nothing beats having iCloud do it if you have iOS devices and other Macs.

Extension

Chrome is a veritable platform here. I was amazed at the focus given to extending the browser. Evernote's clipper is more polished. And there are so many other extension exist. Chrome's contextual menu is cleaner as well with icons and submenus.

All in all Google has put the requisite polish into the areas that you'd expect from a company that makes its living with web technology. Safari has put work into supporting the OS X/iOS ecosystem but I would like to see more things like more powerful extension and cleaner contextual menu.

8. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Certainly Chrome over the common (Safari, Firefox, etc.) - It has worked tremendously well for me with a much more user friendly layout.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm afraid we are "Blessed" with a minority of people who think down-voting is funny. I've given this advice before but it bears repetition...Ignore it. I have trained my eyes to the point hat I no longer notice up or down votes. I'ts a bone of contention for many, and my personal views of the whole;e system have been aired elsewhere on the forum....By drawing attention to the down-voting trolls we give them credibility. Ignore and carry on!:)

10. dbyway macrumors member

dbyway

I'm a huge fan of Google Chrome, been using it since its release. They manage to keep it incredibly simple yet look very nice, also their extensions are very comparable to Mozilla's.

My only problem is that the public release of Chrome isn't retina optimized, if you use the Canary release (beta versions) then it's somewhat optimized -- for retina display MacBooks.

11. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

chrome us the best browser but I mainly use safari because chrome sucks out my battery life

12. YomanDenver macrumors newbie

I agree with everyone else here. Chrome is what I use, and only rarely use Safari. I moved away from Firefox just because it was so clunky (at times) and gave me a lot of issues. I have had zero issues with Chrome.

13. 3v0 macrumors member

anyone know what to do if you still run the old OS 10.5, I dont have lion or snow leopard. I got a message saying Chrome will no longer update with the OS I have.
    Any way around it or do I just need to buy lion.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I would prefer to use Chrome, but find I often have all my tabs freeze, then eventually get told one is holding things back.

Right now I'm back to Safari, will give Firefox a try when there's a retina version out.

15. jperry2010 macrumors newbie

I have been a big fan of chrome, but I just recently started using safari due to the issue with the new macbook air and chrome.

Now that I'm using safari, I'm a fan of the iCloud bookmarks and I think i'm likely to stay with safari as I'm looking forward to the share functionality built into the browser in mountain lion.