best intrenal 16x dvd drive replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by modfaith, Dec 12, 2007.

1. modfaith macrumors newbie

Since all of the stores now only carry 16x speed media, my 4x speed drive that came in my G5 PPC won't work any more with this media (for some reason it did fine with the 8x speed stuff). I've heard it needs a firmware upgrade but I've searched the planet hi & lo and the only ones online are for PCs and nobody else understands what I'm talking about or wants to deal with it. So I'm over the firmware thing and just want to replace it with a new 16x speed/ dual layer internal. I've heard they are available online for about $30.
    Can anyone recomend one that will plug right into the cable in my G5 PPC and for sure be compatible with DVD Studio Pro ?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I like Pioneer drives; every one I've put into a work or home machine (3 in total) has been fine, quiet and reliable, and just as importantly, can boot the machine from a startup CD or DVD without any problems at all.

3. modfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm replacing the old 4x speed DVD drive in my G5 PPC with a new 16x because the stores now only carry 16x speed media which my old drive has been having problems with. The recommended one seems to be the Pioneer DVR-112D Dual Layer DVD Recordable Drive 18X. Does anybody know if this one will work for sure with DVD studio Pro ?