best invisible shield type product for the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schmintan, Jun 20, 2010.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

My 2007 MBP, which was exquisitely cared for developed an issue where the adonization started to wear off in the last year or so.

Im considering getting a new MBP, and to ensure this doesnt happen again, can anyone advise what is the best invisible shield for the MBP?

Im interested in a few things:

how invisible is it really?
    Does it leave a resedue if removed?
    Is it diffficult to apply without leaving unsightly bubbles/wrinkles?

Thanks Folks

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

1. Invisible but has a shine to it, and depending on which one you get, will feel kind of tacky.
    2. No residue. I just removed one from a mac I sold last night and it was like i never put something on.
    3. Yes. But if careful you can apply without bubbles or wrinkles. This requires patience.

Zagg's invisible shield has always been a front runner, although about $60 bucks. You can get it for around $30 on amazon. I would say this is worth it over other skins because of the lifetime warranty. I just ordered a replacement because I got a new mac..the shipped it first so my computer would remain protected. They just expect you to send back the old one. My shield was experiencing gunk in the corners because I didn't apply it completely straight. Therefore it was nice to have the life time warranty.

Best skins ever is cheaper, but one time use.

I think wrapsol? makes one.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When I bought mine, only Zagg had the skin for the 17". Best Skins and the others didn't. I've never removed mine, so I don't know if it leaves a residue. If you look, it's fairly obvious where the skin is covering the notebook. However, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I have metal allergies, so I can't use the MBP naked. Also, the skin gives my notebook a grippy feeling; I feel less likely to drop it.
    Installation is a pain. As long as the skin is still wet, you can still make adjustments if you have major bubbles and wrinkles. I had to take it off and reposition at least once. Most bubbles can primarily be taken out with a squeegee. The minor bubbles dissipate after 24-48 hours. Also, I didn't use my notebook 24 hours after I applied the skin. I didn't want to risk water damage.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've never had a problem with Best Skins Ever, can't imagine that their full body wraps are any different. I've had mixed results with Wrapsol... Never tried to put a skin fully on my MacBook Pro.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I've used Invisible Shield, Best Skins Ever, and Wrapsol - and I have to say Wrapsol looks and feels the best out of the three.

All three take effort to put on properly, but if you follow instructions and use enough liquid, it's fine. I like that I can buy Wrapsol at Fry's, and the materials are high quality.

I will always use Wrapsol now on any aluminum mac I own.