Best iOS version for iPhone 2G + alternative to slide to unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcia, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jcia, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

jcia macrumors member

Hi All,

My mother-in-law has asked me to update her iPhone 2G (one of the first ones), which she bought during a trip to New York when the iPhones where just released, the iPhone is in great condition, there is not a single scratch on it (she always kept it in a case). Anyways, she asked me to update to a newer version of the iOS (currently 1.1.4) because she has trouble with the slide to answer option. She also has trouble with the slide to unlock (it seems that sometimes there is a trouble with the digitizer in that area), but the main problem is the slide to answer, it is more frustrating than just trying to unlock.

So I was thinking I should upgrade her iPhone to version 3.1.3 which, from what I have read, is the best version for the iPhone 3G (iOS 4 seems to be slow). Plus she doesn't really care about the new features, she only plays 2 games and listens to music and to show pictures (synced from iPhoto) to her friends.

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade her iPhone to version 3.1.3? or an older version? any people out there with the iPhone 2G? which version are you using and how it is performing?

What do you think I should install to eliminate the Slide to unlock/slide to answer (cydia tweak)? I was thinking the android unlock but that even has a line on the bottom (which is where the problem with the digitizer sometimes occurs). Is there anyway to put the slide to unlock on the top part of the screen and the clock on the bottom part? Any other ideas? or a better way to answer and unlock than sliding? (buttons I think will be the best idea solution)

Thanks for your help and I hope to hear some ideas.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3.1.3 runs pretty well on 1Gen iDevices. I say go with that.

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

4. jcia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I didn't know the 2g didn't support iOS 4 but I can imagine why not. lol. Anyway, any suggestions as to what to do with the slide to unlock/answer problem?

Thanks.

5. iBryton macrumors regular

Maybe you would like to surprise her with a new iPhone?

6. draz macrumors 6502a

You can have a Tap to Unlock instead.

It is simply editing the slider image making it as large as the entire slider bar image so it simply doesn't slide. Just tap it and the phone unlocks, or asks for a passcode if you have one set.

I can give the exact file names and sizes if this seems like something you would like to do.

7. rikbrown macrumors regular

You can use Activator to set a double tap on the clock to unlock.