Best iPad case+headphone for in flight use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steven.lcs, Mar 13, 2012.

1. steven.lcs macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend the best iPad case and headphone for in flight use? Would the smart cover and headphone from iPhone 4S be sufficient? (not sure if this combo would be awkward on the tray)

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

for travelling I have a pair of Bose On-Ear headphones, which now retail for $110. I bought them a few years back for $200 and are a GREAT pair of headphones for travelling to watch movies listen to music.
    99% of the people who buy Beats by Dre are uneducated in the audio field, you could pick up a nice bare of seinheisers(s/p?) or a used pair of Denons for the same price

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

You'll think I'm crazy but I use this case/stand when traveling. I have a screen protector and skin for daily use and needed something easy for the planes. I use a simple sleeve that my earbuds fit in too. Sure makes it very easy to get in and out of my carry on.

I know, I know, the case is ugly as sin but it works really well. I'm hoping the new iPad fits in it too. Will find out Friday. If not then its another hunt for the perfect light case + stand for travel.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-DUALS...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331626239&sr=1-20

4. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I personally use Sennheisers, I've had Beats by Dre and Bose also.

I will say, the Bose QuietComfort 15s noise canceling feature works EXCELLENT.

If you fly a lot I would highly recommend them.

5. rh22 macrumors newbie

I travel a lot and use mine with Bose QC3 noise canceling headphones. If I was buying today, I'd get the Bose QC15s.

Case wise, something thin. Probably just the smart cover with something to cover the back and a sleeve for putting into a briefcase/carry-on.

6. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

I'm a Delta two million miler. Nothing but Shure SE535's for me. Bose gear is crap by comparison.

You can put a screaming baby in the seat next to me and the Shures block it out. Try that with any Bose.

I simply use the original iPad cover.

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Incipio Lexington FTW!!!!! $34 after coupon! :D Headphones... have no clue... I always just use my Apple headphones.

8. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

My favorite phones for the plane are a pair of Denon in-ears. They have better noise attenuation than any active noise cancelling design. I use them as ear plugs even when Im not listening to anything.

I have a couple of pairs of Sennheiser closed back headphones for work. I tried them on the plane and they sound great, but take up too much room in the carryon.

I just use the stock Apple case.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For in-flight, I would go with noise cancelling headphones or regular headphones that cover the ear. Coincidentally, I like the Skullcandy Aviators.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Any earbuds that go in the ear will block out the sound of the plane. I have $50 sennheisers that work great.

11. LennyFL macrumors member

I use Bose QC15's on the plane. I have Bose MIE2 mobile headset i wear all the rest of the time, I haven't used my Bluetooth since I got them. My iPhone stays in my holster and I answer, hang up, listen to books just by touching the remote button.
    Lenny

12. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I've got a pair of Klipsch S4's with Comply memory-foam tips. Even with the stock tips, they block out a good amount of the noise on a plane... not active noise cancelling, but damn if I could tell the difference.

13. inklight macrumors newbie

There are many high quality headphones out there so it really depends on a few personal factors - primarily budget and whether you prefer over-the-ear cans or in-ear monitors. They each have their pros and cons.

I've tried both over the years and I prefer a good quality in-ear because they are very convenient to travel with and they do not leak sound like over-the-ear cans do. I also personally find them more comfortable than over-the-ear, but some people are the opposite. I currently use Westone 3's.

If you want more information on headphones than you could ever possibly want, this is a good site to research: http://www.head-fi.org/

14. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I use a pair of Sennheiser PXC 450 for traveling and for when I am in the library. Sennheiser's open-ear headphones have better audiophile sound, but that just isn't practical on a plane, in an airport, or in a library. They have decent noise canceling and I believe the sound is pretty good for noise canceling headphones. They aren't cheap, I think you can get them for somewhere between $300-$350. I've had several Sennheiser headphones and they are high quality.

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

For in flight, I use either Ultimate Ears UE10s or Shure E5Cs. They are completely noise isolating and are perfect for shutting out all noises. If I'm asleep with either of those 2 monitors, the plane would have to be going down in order for me to notice. They also offer great sound and a lifetime warranty.

I normally hook them up to my iPhone but if you're going to be reading on the flight, I normally use a smart cover with a gelaskin on the back of the iPad. It protects is enough for my taste. If you're going to be rough with your iPad, I would consider a metal and plexiglass enclosure which should effectively double to triple the weight as well as make it impervious to bullet-fire.

The reason I use noise isolation vs noise cancellation is that noise cancellation can cause hearing problems over certain amounts of time. The reason for this is normally because your ears are attenuated to hear ambient noise but once you use active noise cancellation, your eardrums get nullified.

16. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Get any case you like, I recommend something low profile. As for headphones get something noise canceling, depending on the type of plane you are on there can be so much noise the apple headphones are useless.