All iPads Best iPad choice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by youngsunnz, Oct 29, 2013.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I am looking into purchasing an iPad for my 2 year old daughter, but it will be used by my wife and myself as well. I can't decide between the mini retina iPad or the iPad air. My child will be using it for children activities and my wife and I will use it for surfing the web, occasionally Ill use it for my school. If you've have a child that young and have gotten an iPad for them and yourself which size have you picked and would you suggest?

2. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

personally i'd go for the iPad air, I think kids apps tend to benefit from more screen space and it's generally much easier for little kids to use (bigger buttons, more immersive in general). Also any work purposes that you might want to use it for (maybe storing pdf's, office documents) would benefit from the bigger screen, and seeing as it's barely heavier than the mini I think its the one to buy at the minute.

Enjoy whichever you go for :)

3. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You for your suggestion, I'm not sure if you would know the answer to this but my wife also wants to take the iPad with her. She always has a tote purse with her will it fit in something like that?

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I will be the voice of reason and say get an iPad 2. Your kid can drop it, and not only will it likely be stronger than the thinner Air, it will be cheaper to replace if that happens. And a kid doesn't need retina.

5. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

the mini would be a better fit in any purse for sure, so if thats a factor then perhaps the mini is more useful for you

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

But this one is different, its new

7. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Just my 2 cents but wouldn't a mini be easier for a 2 year old to hold?

8. MLAM macrumors regular

there is that but I guess the op most probably will prop it up with a case

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

But in no way it justifies the $399 price tag.

10. Killcount macrumors newbie

If you and your wife will be using it then I would go for the air imo.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

iPad Air for the grown-ups and if in the US, refurbished 16GB iPad Mini ($249), iPad 2 ($319), iPad 3 ($359) or iPad 4 ($379) for the kid plus a kid-friendly (kid-proof?) case.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

More like easier to throw.:D

I think for small children, bigger iPads are better, because as another poster already pointed out, larger touch targets (small kids don't have the coordination to accurately hit small targets), and more immersive experience.

As for if iPad Air will fit in purses, look up the dismensions in the Apple web site, and measure your purse. In general, there are some larger purses it will fit, but the mini is definitely more purse-sized. So you will have to decide which is the more primary use, for your kid or for your wife to take out.

13. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

LOL! Can't argue that! :D

For me personally, and this is in no way against the OP, but I wouldn't feel too comfy giving such an expensive toy to a 2 year old. At that age, I'd be sticking with Fisher Price, Legos, Sesame Street tv, etc. ;)

14. wmitch macrumors regular

My 2 yo and 5 yo have both been using our 3rd gen iPad for a long time now. They also use their Grandma's Kindle fire (but the UI confuses them)
    I think being a little larger helps them to treat it more seriously than they do the kindle actually.

If I were buying something specifically for them, i would try to find a used Mini.
    I think you could get one for $200-$250 (USD) and put a kid proof case on it to keep it safe.

That would leave you with a good chunk of your budget to buy whatever you wanted for you and your wife, whether it was the Air or Mini.