Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I have an age old iPad 2 that has ran well but it's decimated now and nonfunctional. Now that it's destroyed, I think I want to pick up a new one to use as an e-reader and media player. Not sure if a Pro is really worthwhile for this usage. I want it to run well for a while though so newer specs would be nice.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you want a newer chipset, the iPad Air 3 (Apple A12) is a pretty happy medium between the entry level iPad 10.2" (with 2016 Apple A10) and top of the line iPad Pro 11 (Apple A12X).

There were sales on the Air 3 over the holidays bringing down the base model to $400 ($500 MSRP). The base Pro 11 is usually on sale for $650 ($800 MSRP). Sales for the Pro tend to occur more frequently compared to sales on the Air.

Either is a good choice. I think the best feature on the Pro is the USB-C port—useful for external accessories.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
I have an age old iPad 2 that has ran well but it's decimated now and nonfunctional. Now that it's destroyed, I think I want to pick up a new one to use as an e-reader and media player. Not sure if a Pro is really worthwhile for this usage. I want it to run well for a while though so newer specs would be nice.

The new iPad mini. Size is great for reading and good for YouTube and social media and movies. Can’t go wrong with it.

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No better Apple device for long stretches of reading than an iPad Mini IMO. I use a pop socket on mine to make it super comfortable to hold. It’s fine for video as well, though if I really care about what I’m watching I’d rather watch it on my TV.

Reactions: Burebista

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I know that the Mini 5 is an excellent device, but I'm not sure I would enjoy the downgrade in screen size, considering that I really don't need portability it may not be worth the downgrade in size.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Any current iPad works well for consumption purposes. I’d get the cheapest current iPad and gives that a try. It will surely provide years of good service for reading and movie watching.

Reactions: Richard8655

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Get the iPad Air 3.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.00.34 AM.png
The difference in screen size between the entry iPad and the Air 3 is very, very small. I believe that the Air 3 screen is laminated though, which is nice.

The only reason I'd consider the Air over the base model is for longevity, just because it has newer specs.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
And why would anybody get the air for the assigned purposes vs the entry model?
For the reason mentioned below in bold.
If you want a newer chipset, the iPad Air 3 (Apple A12) is a pretty happy medium between the entry level iPad 10.2" (with 2016 Apple A10) and top of the line iPad Pro 11 (Apple A12X).

There were sales on the Air 3 over the holidays bringing down the base model to $400 ($500 MSRP). The base Pro 11 is usually on sale for $650 ($800 MSRP). Sales for the Pro tend to occur more frequently compared to sales on the Air.

Either is a good choice. I think the best feature on the Pro is the USB-C port—useful for external accessories.

Last edited:

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
I know that the Mini 5 is an excellent device, but I'm not sure I would enjoy the downgrade in screen size, considering that I really don't need portability it may not be worth the downgrade in size.

It’s an ideal size for reading, identical to that of a book page. Another massive advantage is the weight. It’s so light you can hold it for hours with just one hand without fatigue. No prop up required.
Also unlike the regular 9.7”, it has A12 inside, meaning you’re future-proofed for many years. I think you should give it a try.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
iPad 7 is the direct descendant of the iPad 2. It's the best and most cost effective replacement with the latest technology and functionality needed. I think anything beyond iPad 7 for these needs is a matter of fandom that is so prevalent in an iPad forum like this. If 32gb storage with the base iPad 7 is a concern, I'd simply go with the 128gb version.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Sure a newer chipset is ok but given the tasks outlined the power of any iPad is more than sufficient. Sure the Air 3 is nice but really overkill if the OP doesn’t want to treat themselves.
Yep, any of the iPads currently being sold will handle the aforementioned tasks just fine. Honestly, even the 5-year old Air 2 does them fine albeit it's noticeably slower opening large books (e.g. 4000+ page omnibus).

The iPad 7 has the 3-year old A10 chipset while the Air 3 has the 1-year old A12. The iPad 7 isn't slow by any means. However, the Air 3 is noticeably snappier.

There's also storage to consider. 32GB is starting to get a bit cramped. 4-5GB is used by iOS and probably 2-5GB will be used for cache/tmp leaving just ~20GB or so usable. If one needs more than 32GB but less than 64GB, the price gap between iPad 7 128GB and iPad Air 3 64GB drops down to $80 making the Air 3 a bit more attractive. Of course, this might vary based on currently running promos/discounts.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yep, any of the iPads currently being sold will handle the aforementioned tasks just fine. Honestly, even the 5-year old Air 2 does them fine albeit it's noticeably slower opening large books (e.g. 4000+ page omnibus).

The iPad 7 has the 3-year old A10 chipset while the Air 3 has the 1-year old A12. The iPad 7 isn't slow by any means. However, the Air 3 is noticeably snappier.

There's also storage to consider. 32GB is starting to get a bit cramped. 4-5GB is used by iOS and probably 2-5GB will be used for cache/tmp leaving just ~20GB or so usable. If one needs more than 32GB but less than 64GB, the price gap between iPad 7 128GB and iPad Air 3 64GB drops down to $80 making the Air 3 a bit more attractive. Of course, this might vary based on currently running promos/discounts.

Storage is hardly a concern for books in ePub format, but for those who read comics and picture heavy stuff. Or scanned to PDF books. These are the potential edge cases but as you say an iPad Air of any age can cope with these. Regular novels of the shelves are small and even the 32GB device holds plenty of those.

Given that these days most purchases are available for another download later one can potentially easily live with any iPad except those who want to store everything locally.

But sure, in case one gets the next up model for a reduced price, sure why not, treat yourself.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I went with the 12.9 Pro for media as I wanted the large screen. It's also become my primary device for reading e-books, over an 8" tablet and the 10.5 Pro I still have. Portability isn't a problem, even when using the Logitech Slim Folio Pro keyboard case. I'd make the same choice in an instant now that I've had time on it.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The iPad 7th gen is a ridiculously good value. You can get the base mode (32GB) on sale for $250. That's half the price of the entry level iPad 2 when purchased new 9 years ago.

Yes, it has an older processor than the Air 3, but that's really not the bottle neck for most applications. iPad processors have out-distanced the software for years. RAM is more important to take advantage of multi-tasking offered by iPadOS, and the 7th gen has 3GB, which is the same as the Air 3.

For the OPs needs, the iPad 7th gen seems like the right choice.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
To use as an e-reader and media player, just buy the regular 10.2-inch iPad. It has enough power to run these apps for years. It will probably break before it becomes slow for this kind of use. You do not need an iPad Air for that, the only difference you will probably notice is the 0.3-inch increase in the screen size. The iPad Pro has a better screen but for your kind of use it is not worth the price.

You should also take a look at other, non-Apple tablets. The iPad has a 4:3 screen ratio, which is not ideal for watching movies. The result is that a part of the screen will not be used when watching videos (or it can be used but your the wide edges of your video will be cut). A tablet with a 16:9 screen ratio may be more appropriate for just consuming media.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.