Best iPad games from EA or Gameloft?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by lsquare, Dec 23, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

Recently I just got into iOS gaming and I'm having trouble figuring out which games to buy since so many are on sale at the moment. Any recommendations?

I think it's pretty stupid having to buy both the iPhone and iPad version of the game, but I'm willing to do it in certain cases. I think Real Racing 2 is a good example and I have that for both the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. What about for games like Dead Space and Fifa 12? I'm thinking of just buying the iPad version, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying the iPhone version. Any comments?

What about Scrabble and potentially Words with Friends? Which one should I consider and for which platform?

Thanks!

2. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I personally wouldn't buy both iphone or ipad versions of the same game unless it supports icloud gamesaves.

The games with the little plus symbol next to them are universal so you only have to pay once and it will be for both iphone & ipad. I think gameloft annouced all future games will be universal.

If you really want to buy both versions then now would be a good time because of the app sales.
    Real racing 2, words with friends, scrabble & fifa 12 are on sale for the same price for either iphone or ipad which is great.

Games I'd recommend:
    Angry birds seasons
    Plants vs zombies
    Gta 3 (universal) (on sale)

Also get the appshopper app and add to your wishlist to get notifications on sales and updates for games you want.

3. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm definitely buying Scrabble and Fifa 12 for the iPad. Is Monopoly any good for the iPad?

Also is the iPhone version of these games worth buying?

4. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

If you got fifa 12 for ipad then download the free ea sports gamepad app to control the players on your ipad with your iphone. Same withscrabble for ipad then get the free scrabble tile rack app for iphone.

Monoply is ok if you have people to play with because the ai seem to get better dice rolls.

Both monopoly & scrabble are better to play on the ipad with the bigger screen. Keeps that board game feel. Were as the iphone its a bit to small for these type of games imo.

If you enjoy fifa alot on ipad then yh sure pick it up for iphone to while its cheap. Ipad being the one to do the seasons on etc and iphone for a quick game while out and about.

But I'd go with ipad version everytime if theres the choice.

5. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Which game is better in your opinion? Scrabble or Words with Friends? I have no intentions of buying both games.

If I buy Dead Space HD, is there even any point to buying Dead Space for the iPhone?

6. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

My wife and I like to play Scrabble in table top mode. We're going to try monopoly tonight so see if we like it.

7. foiden, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

foiden macrumors 6502a

You only buy Dead Space for the phone of you really really want to play it on a pocket-sized device, out in the middle of somewhere. However, it is way too involved a game for most people to play it in places where they wouldn't have the iPad. The game is pretty much a portable exclusive full console release. By far, it's more sophisticated than a quick pick-me-up game. If you only get one version of Dead Space, and you have the iPad, get the iPad version. It plays like a dream on that system. Looks fantastic in IPad resolution, too. Seriously, you'll be fooled into thinking you're playing a Mac/PC steam version of Dead Space 1 with the display. Even more on iPad 2 since they up the graphics more on the A5 chips. However, I played it first on IPad 1, and the experience was just like I was playing Dead Space 1 or 2, but with a new story. It's also completely retuned for iPad controls so it has some exclusively fun instruments of gameplay. Particularly with some of the swipe controls. It's here where you really appreciate the feel and accuracy of the touch controls on the bigger screen.

(Kind of like bug panic, in which the bigger screen actually makes that game's controls absolutely perfect. Not so much on the phone.)

8. matt90036 macrumors regular

words with friends is a million times better than scrabble.

9. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How so? Are you aware of any reviews that compare these two games? I honestly can't decide.

10. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. It's kind of stupid how they have two variants when in fact you and I both know the iPad have essentially the same hardware as the iPhone. If I were to pick a version, I would likely lean on the iPad version. I don't mind picking up the iPhone version provided the controls are optimized for the smaller screen.

11. foiden macrumors 6502a

Yeah. It was kind of silly of them to do that. Fortunately, EA often had those special sales, so you could pick them up even as low as a combined cost of maybe 2 or 3 bucks for the 2 of them. That is, if you catch them at the right time. Well worth the money, though.

12. matt90036 macrumors regular

I have both games. Scrable doesn't have true multiplayer support.

13. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by true multiplayer mode?

14. knp macrumors newbie

Words With Friends allows you to play with people not only using iOS/Android devices, but on the Web too. You can start a game with a friend who may only be able to access WWF on Facebook, etc.

15. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh? Then on the other hand, why should I even consider buying Scrabble? What's the advantage of going with Scrabble?

16. knp macrumors newbie

Actually, I guess what I just posted about WWF applies to Scrabble as well. I don't own/play Scrabble, so that's why I only posted about WWF. Here's an old thread about WWF vs. Scrabble, so hopefully this can provide you with better insight: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1118759

If you have a Facebook account, how about you try playing both games? Then you can decide on which you prefer.

17. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to know how the games are like on iOS devices rather than Facebook.