Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgar7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
San Diego, CA
What version of the iPad Mini Retina will have the best resale value a year from now? Cellular or Wifi only? 16, 32, 64, 128? I know this is all a guessing game, but curios to know everyones thoughts.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Wifi 16GB always seems to get the best ROI for iPhones and iPads. Many buyers don't really care which model they get and price is the driving factor (why they are buying used). The price floor is set by the cheapest models and it doesn't rise very quickly for the more expensive ones on the second-hand market.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wifi 16GB always seems to get the best ROI for iPhones and iPads.

Agreed. The up-charges for additional storage and for cellular erode very quickly. Just look at the gazelle.com buy offers for different configs of ipad4's or current ipad mini's.

That said, buy the device config that fits your needs. Hobbling yourself with an under-configured device is just as dumb as overspending on a higher level config than you reasonably think you'll need.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
16GB Wifi always retains the best resale - in fact, any base model does. If you're buying second hand you generally are on a tighter budget, so go for lower end devices.

Not sure about white vs black, though I'd go black as it seems to be the 'universal' colour - white seems to be more polarising.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
People who buy used items are hyper price conscientious therefore they are not going to pay a premium for options that new buyers do. That is why the price gap between used iPads of the various varieties is much slimmer % wise than that of the new devices.

So the 16GB WiFi will return the most $s back for you but never buy something for the next buyer. Buy what you need (within your own budget, obviously) and enjoy.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Confirming what others have said. You do not make up the difference in price from the base model. Thus, the wifi 16Gig is the best for resale purposes.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I bought a 16GB iPad mini w/ LTE earlier this year and got basically zero value for that LTE when selling. Nada. Zilch. I've replaced it with a 32GB Retina iPad mini wifi only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.