Best ipad2 keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appler8, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Appler8 macrumors member

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Several notable ones. The AWK is a very good keyboard and it has the advantage of working with the Incase Origami Workstation to provide a case for the keyboard that "unfolds" into a stand for the iPad. The AWK sells for about $70 and the Origami Workstation is another $30.

Logitech makes very good keyboards and they now sell a model that resembles the Apple Wireless Keyboard closely. Its major advantage is price. Although it sells for the same $70 as the Apple Keyboard it comes with a keyboard case that mimics the Origami Workstation's stand functionality.

If you're used to a full size keyboard Logitech also sells a keyboard that acts as a back protector (compatible with the SmartCover) that folds in half and unfolds to provide a larger keyboard. More expensive than other options ($129) and since it's permanently attached to iPad as a back cover, it adds weight. But if you do a lot of typing and are used to a full size keyboard, it comes closer to meeting that requirement than anything else.

Finally, the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard ($34) is a great deal. It's a bit wider than the AWK and curved to minimize wrist strain. I've used one for a couple of years with a laptop and it's very, very durable. Not quite as compact as the AWK, but it's thinner and is actually easier to pack in some ways than the Apple.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I prefer the Apple keyboard (a beautifully designed thing that looks lovely after more than a year of heavy use). However, the Zagg keyboard is nice, and if you treat some of the foldable ones well, then they'll last quite a while.

My thinking is this, though. The iPad is pretty large. The Apple keyboard is smaller. They both fit well into my man bag. Why buy a tiny keyboard if you still need a bag big enough for the iPad? The Incase Origami protects the keyboard, provides no extra bulk, and gives me a great setup for writing. I haven't seen anything yet that is better.

5. iamartimus macrumors 6502

How long does the Apple wireless keyboard last on a charge? The ZAGG claims to last several weeks to a month on a single charge with heavy use.

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The Apple Wireless Keyboard takes normal AA batteries but since getting it a few months ago I have never had to change the batteries.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Same here. Haven't replaced the AWK's batteries since I bought it six months ago. The key here is that the AWK automatically powers down if a key is not pressed every few seconds. This can result in a slight hesitation in registering an initial keystroke which can be a minor annoyance. Nevertheless, I've never had the keyboard "lose" a stoke. It simply takes a couple of seconds to register it from time to time.

8. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

An Apple keyboard user also. I used the included batteries. Take notes for school 6-8 hours a day and have not had to replace the batteries at all (it has been 2.5 months since purchase)

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Rather than having a separate keyboard clunking around, and yet another thing you need to remember to carry, such as the official Apple keyboard.

Would it not be better to get one of the ones where a thin keyboard is build into the lid of the iPad's case?

So, if you know you are going to be out and about (on the move) and want to be able to type a lot on a proper keyboard, then you can just fit the iPad into such a case, and no need to worry about forgetting it, or packing it separably as it's just one thin unit.

10. 4DThinker, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

4DThinker macrumors 68020

This one is my favorite at the moment:

Amazon.com link. Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for iPad.

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Many people agree with you. From what I can tell cases like the Zaggmate have sold well. On the other hand, those of us who are touch typists often find the size of those keyboards to be problematic since the width of the keyboard cannot exceed the width of the iPad (in landscape mode.) In addition, it means that the keyboard can be used only with the iPad in landscape mode. Finally, many people find the keyboard "action" of the keyboards in the combo cases to be "mushy."

It's definitely a matter of personal preference but when I need a real keyboard, I like to have as good a keyboard as possible. And for me, at least, that's the AWK or the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

That makes sense. I've never forgotten my keyboard, though.

I've only got three or four things to remember, and they all fit nicely into my man bag:

1. the ipad
    2. the keyboard (with the incase origami)
    3. my stylus
    4. a pouch (ipod+headphones, phone, and wallet together inside it)

Having the keyboard together with the iPad would be fine, but it only reduces one item, I'd then have a small keyboard (not so fun for touch typing if you work on it all day), and the keyboards generally lie flat on the table (rather painful for extended periods). It's a matter of personal preference.

13. hismikeness macrumors regular

I have the older version of the AWK that took three batteries. I've had it for a couple of years now and have replaced the batteries only a couple of times.

I did have a stretch after buying the Magic Mouse where the two peripheral's bluetooths (blueteeth?) were interacting with each other negatively and causing both to have batter drain. A firmware update quickly fixed it and battery life returned to normal.

I recommend the AWK.

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

15. q64ceo macrumors regular

I agree with the Apple wireless keyboard. You can never go wrong using Apple products on an Apple product.

What I would like to know is what is the best case to house both an iPad and an Apple wireless keyboard.

16. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Are you asking about a "carrying case?" If so, you might want to look at the iPad Wallet from Waterfield Designs (www.sfbags.com). It has dedicated pockets for both the iPad and the AWK. However, if you have the AWK in an Origami Workstation case from Incase, the AWK won't fit in the Wallet. It will, however, fit in the "Travel Express."

On the other hand, if you're looking for a folio case that holds both the iPad and the AWK, the only one I know of is from TrendyDigital.

(http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital...RPLK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321741167&sr=8-3)

17. pingfan59 macrumors member

The Blutetooth Apple keyboard. Rarely have to change the batteries and it looks cool and integrates nicely with my MBP and iPad

18. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I want one but do people actually use these? Seems like a thing I'd find little use for.

19. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I thought that I would, but I really haven't felt the need for one outside of when I initially connected my bluetooth keyboard just to make sure it worked. I haven't really edited any complicated documents on the iPad yet, but even with longer messages, I'm fine with the touch screen. I can imagine I'd use the bluetooth keyboard with it more often if I depended on the Pages app more.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Search "TouchFire" You may be completely fascinated.

You're welcome

21. szolr macrumors 6502

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I've been looking into getting that keyboard myself. May I ask how long do the batteries last on average?