best iphone 3G car solution

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DrFillster, Aug 23, 2008.

1. DrFillster macrumors member

Okay, so I got the 3G and despite the bugs I love it. What's the best way to listen to my tunes (including Pandora) in the car?

Preferably 3 price points: cheap, moderate (<$100) and sky's the limit.

TIA!

2. iblastoff macrumors 6502

well what options do you have in your car? bluetooth? line in? just fm transmitter?

3. franzmueller macrumors regular

if you have the cash then you can get a car stereo equipment with a doc connector for ipods ... here in Spain that option costs around € 300.-

Other than that get an ipod transmitter for around € 20- or less (i got it in e-bay and it came from Hong Kong ) maybe where you are you can get it from a local online shop

Have fun

Saludos

Franz

4. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

I have a plain jane cd player. No Bluetooth or anything else. I was hoping that there is a solution that is Bluetooth speaker, integrated with support for the 3g

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I just completed my in-car solution...but it was not cheap.

• ProClip Padded Tilt & Swivel Mounting System - $75
    • Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone - $49
    • Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Headset - $77

I got the ProClip because I wanted a solid, sturdy mount and all the research I did suggested this mount was top of the line. I'm not disappointed...this is a great clip, if a bit pricey. I bought this directly from ProClipUSA.com.

I got the Kensington LiquidAUX because I wanted to be able to charge my iPhone and send the music simultaneously through one cord...and it works great. It utilizes the iPhone's line out mechanism and sounds terrific on my car stereo (music goes from the dock cable and then into the charger, then up from the charger via a built-in 3.5 mm audio cable into my aux-in port). Got this from Amazon for $49 even though it retails for $80.

Lastly, I picked up the Plantronics headset because I wanted a way to operate my phone in my car without either getting a ticket or having to fumble around removing the iPhone from the mount in order to answer calls. I'm not a fan of Bluetooth headsets, but this one is terrific. It retails for $150 but I got it from Newegg for $77.

As you can see, it was expensive. But I got all top quality gear for this in-car solution and together they have been performing perfectly.

6. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

It looks like a great solution. I dont' have an AUX IN for my stereo, so I'd probably have to put in a new car stereo for something that nice. Anyone have the Alpine systems?

7. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I bought a Sony stereo for $150 that has an auxiliary jack. That was a couple years ago, so I'm sure stereos with this option are cheaper now.

It works great for me, and it's very simple. The idea of an FM transmitter is incredibly unappealing to me.

8. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. But if I'm going to buy a new stereo I'd really like one optimized for the 3G. O/W maybe I should just buy a FM transmitter to hold me over for the next 6 months or so?

9. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

If that works best for you, go for it! :)

When I got my stereo I only had a tape deck, and I wasn't planning on getting a new car anytime soon, so it made sense.

The cars that come with stereos designed for iPods/iPhones are amazing.

But hey, my solution was a fraction of the price. :D

10. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

If you have any of the compatible vehciles on the site I highly recommend Grom-Audio. I have it in my Lexus IS300 and love it, it charged my old iPhone but since the new one disables firewire charging it won't charge. But for $70 you can't go wrong and it has CD quality sound. I can also control mine through the stock HU. It simply connects to the back of the stock HU where a CD changer would normally plug in.

http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/index.html

11. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Go to ilounge.com and they have great reviews and pics and you may see something you like.

12. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I bought the Kenwood KDC-MP438U. Love the unit. Is infinitely better than the solutions I had before.

13. fperkins macrumors newbie

I just got this exciting news from ProClip. I'm going to go with the LiquidAUX, proclip mount and clip when it comes out:

We will not be creating any holders with charging and Auxiliary out capabilities due to licensing issues. We will be making a Pass-Through holder that will allow connection of any 3rd party cable. You can then dock your iPhone without manually connecting the cable every time. We expect to receive these holders mid-September. We will notify you by email when they are online and available for ordering.

14. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

I have a '05 Toyota Highlander and this sounds awesome. Easy to install? How long did it take you? Also, you said it will not charge? Will it accept incoming calls while playing mp3's off of my iPhone 3G? Meaning can I pick up the iPhone by hand while a call comes in? Let me know thanks!

15. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

I have a '05 Toyota Highlander and this sounds awesome. Easy to install? How long did it take you? Also, you said it will not charge? Will it accept incoming calls while playing mp3's off of my iPhone 3G? Meaning can I pick up the iPhone by hand while a call comes in? Let me know thanks!

16. phapn macrumors newbie

Where did you get this news from? Link please?

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Presumably from a personal email. I contacted ProClip via email when they didn't have the 3G holders yet and they sent me two personal responses; one telling me when they'd be in and another when they actually came in. Their customer service is top notch.

18. jlanuez macrumors 6502

This is good info, was going to order new holder for 3G today, but might wait now. thanks!

19. fperkins macrumors newbie

I had emailed them and they emailed me back.

20. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Would love to see a pic of this ... with the phone in the cradle. I looked at there site but there are no pics of the iphone setup

21. wilsons66604 macrumors newbie

LiquidAux with Apple dock

I have the LiquidAux in my car and was looking for a dock where I didn't have to grab the cable and plug it into the 3g each time. I've had proclip mounts for other devices and they work great but are pricey. Does anyone know if the Apple dock for the 3g will work in my car with the LiquidAux?
    It would be cool to be able to just drop my 3g into the dock that I have sitting in my console.

22. artward22 macrumors newbie

I use my iphone 3G with the Griffin tuneflex aux

It's not designed for the iphone so you just have to tell it each time that it should not go to airplane mode. It charges, and gets the sound from the dock connector rather than a headphone jack. It fits well in one of the provided ipod holders, so no problems there. Highly recommended!