Best iphone 3G screen protector and back protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by XedLos, Feb 1, 2009.

1. XedLos macrumors member

Which is the best screen protector for the iphone? I just want the one for the front screen. I also am looking for a case or somthing to protect the back, i want somthing thin and not bulky

I was thinking of the gelaskin or the incase http://goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl59051/3

i had a question about the gelaskin, does the back of the iphone get sticky after you take it off? casue its a sticker right?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Screen protector for front - Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint is the one to go if you don't like fingerprints or smudges and would sacrifice a little bit of grainy effect. This film also is a little bit clearer than the PS Anti-Glare

Back protector - I'm using Invisible Shield for my end, it is really PITA to apply, thankfully 45minutes then another 24hrs produced a very successful output for the corners. I love it! Too bad I'm kinda worried now for the shock protection, which I sacrificed for aesthetics.

3. XedLos thread starter macrumors member

How will the protectors affect the brightness of the iphone

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No effect at all, it's the clarity of the screen that will be affected - because of the grainy effect, but for me it's hardly noticeable. Try searching for PS Anti-glare or Steinheil Anti-fingerprint film in the forums, some posters uploaded some photos so you'd see what that grainy effect that I'm talkig about.

5. XedLos thread starter macrumors member

What about the invisible shield? Is it any good? I guess i would just be using teh front cover. Is it really hard to install and would i have to worry about the spray?

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Sorry but I haven't used the IS front on my iPhone, though by the looks of it, it should be east to apply. Go to YouTube and look up their installation and reviews for the Invisible Sheild (IS). You might actually find the reviews for the screen protectors at YouTube too.

7. Matt.H macrumors member

Have you thought about the Incase Slider?
    I use that as well as an Invisible Shield on the front of the iPhone.
    Couldn't be happier, and installing an Invisible Shield to the front of the iPhone was fairly easy (it is important to use the spray - makes the process much smoother), just important to take your time when installing it.

8. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

For my screen protector i have a power support crystal, which are excellent, but ive found is slightly too thick for some cases, but are super easy to install.

I have an SGP steinheil crystal ready to put on when this one wears out, but obviously cannot give feedback on this yet.

The thinnest case i own, and it really does only just cover the back (the bezel still shows) is the contour flick, which i think is a great case.

Also you could consider an invisible shield, although they are a nightmare to install, but im not a big fan of them cause i feel you have to be too careful with the phone with on, whether im just paranoid it'll come off easily i dont know.

Im currently using a switcheasy capsuleneo, but i think they are quite bulky cases compared to the flick or the IS.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

bodyguards front shield

Invisible shield rear shield or a slim case if you need more protection for the rear

10. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Check out www.sgpstore.com for their ultra thin, or www.myincipio.com for the feather.

Both are very thin. I like the feather better myself. No bulk and the edges won't come up like the invisible shield.

11. XedLos thread starter macrumors member

I have been thinking of getting a gelaskin for the back but i want to know if it will make the back of the iphone stick if i decide to take it off some day

12. SatanLover macrumors member

is there a screen protector out there that is similar to the invisible shield but doesn't have the crappy feel that you get when you run your finger over it? its not smooth at all...

13. petenice15 macrumors newbie

I have the case-mate screen protectors and the Incase Slider. I love the slider and think it's the best case out there. I hate the Case-Mate screen protectors because even though you fingers slide great on them, they bubble up constantly. Very annoying for my OCD...

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

gelaskins are useless they don't cover the corners

15. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

I got the PS (power support) Anti-Glare Screen protector in a purchase of another iphone for my girl.

And at first I was like ehhhh , but after looking at hers and always having to wipe the grease off my phone. Im wanting to give it a try.

I checked on ebay and was shocked at the price $20 shipped for two. Thats pretty crazy just for a screen protector $10 for one.

But all in all , its probably worth somewhere around that. I wasnt really aware of it since Im normally just a cheapo ebay guy who just picks up anything that has a good ebay ad and a good price or mass quanity for cheap.

But it applied better than any screen ive seen. No bubbles whatsoever either. It also slightly smaller than the screen so using an incase slider worked perfect (this is on a 1g/2g phone).

Anyhow , kudos to them..... but my cheap side is kicking in and im trying to find one for myself that is similiar quality but cheap. Anyone got any good links?

16. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Love my Power Support Anti-Glare and Air Jacket combo

17. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I prefer the Stienheil Anti-fingerprint as well. Works quite nicely and the feel is good. I do not like the feel of the IS products on the screen.

I have tried many (if not all) of the back protectors and the best (IMO) is the Incipio Feather. Unfortunately, they don't have that many colors or a clear. It is better because it covers almost the entire side ad wraps up around to the edge of the bezel.

The snap on plastic ones are good, especially the clear ones. You can put a decorative sticker underneath. The very shiny color ones look nice, but are fingerprint magnets.

I like to use a snap in holster, so the Seidio Innocase II is also nice, and you can get a holster to go with it. I actually use that holster with any of the above protectors. It will still securely hold the phone.

Again, these are very personal choices and it all boils down to what you like once you try one.

18. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

Quick question on the steinheil. Does it wrap around the home button (circle it) or does it cut straight down and leave the space below the home button open.

Id probably give those a try as they are cheaper somewhat, just the ebay ones I saw were confusing some pictures it showed it circle it and others it would leave it open beneath.

Where did you get yours?

19. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It wraps around the home button. Though as what others have noticed, it doesn't cover the entire glass screen, it probably left half of a millimeter all around. They probably did that for those iPhone cases that take too much of the screen :rolleyes: I got mine at the SGP store online.

20. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Well, I had been using a leather slipcase that I got from eBay for £1.80. Good for what it was but tended to cramp the keyboard when texting, so I plumped for an invisible shield after reading all the reviews for everything I could find.

After installing a few days ago I can sum it up.

Expensive for what it is - hard to think its not just some sticky back clear plastic, though I have tested it by trying to mark it and its actually very strong!

Gives the iphone a slightly tacky feel, but this is offset by its ability not to 'grease' up as much as the naked screen. The sensitivity of the touchscreen seems totally unaffected though.

If installed correctly - is pretty much invisible.

On the downside it takes a hell of a long time to install right, we're talking at least an hour, plus you must use the spray and squeegee to get rid of bubbles. I'm a total perfectionist and I had to lift and replace the corners plenty of times.

Install the back cover first, as that will take the time - the front protector is a piece of piss.

All in all - ronseal item and lets me just 'use' the phone as I'd always wanted.

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

x2, thats what I have and its sick!

22. zuffox macrumors newbie

Do you know of any site or video which compares all the popular covers?

It's difficult to get an overview over which is the best.

23. apple281 macrumors member

go to you youtube and type in itsmemorphious and his name is Carlos. He has some great revies!

24. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

I just wanted to post this screen protector. Ive seen a few in my time with the iphone and the quality on this one is great....the price.......even better!!!!

3 screen protectors for 3 dollars................ shipped!!!! OMFG . amazing.

I got the screen protector , no rainbow effect , clear as ive seen and each screen protector had a screen wipe , the cutting is very very precise and right to the edge of the screen and home buttons. No offsets at all , perfect.

I couldnt be happier for a clear screen and the price and the amounts. Also luck may have had it , but it applied very easy , had the stickers on front and back as to which to peel first. Clean my area with windex and pulled the back slowly off as I aligned it with the screen and it was by far my best application so far.

Im shocked at the price I got and quality to go with it. I cant imagine a better product even at $5 per screen..... Dont let the low price fool you. As well it came fast!

http://stores.ebay.com/trendgear (not affiliated , just passin a good deal)

25. larapumkin macrumors regular

mine has sgp shield on... i have used invisible shield and sgp's shield was much better imo...guess bodyguardz must be a good one as well for the back.
    for the front shield, i definitely recommend steinheil from sgp, im using steinheil crystal, i don't think i'd get used to anti-fingerprint one because it's a bit blurry as i have seen from others.
    steinheil crystal is super clear, and well i can wipe off those fingerprints whenever..