Best iPhone 4 Case to fix Reception Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Coolmatt49, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

Hey, my iPhone 4 is suffering from the dreaded reception issue. I want to get a case to fix the problem so as when I grip my phone and touch the lower-left 'affected' area, the bars will not drop on my signal.

So far in my experience, the Bumpers that Apple sells sort of fixes the problem but not as much as I would like. Plus, the case scratches the stainless steel band around the phone. I tried the Incipio silicone case that Radio Shack sells in their stores, but, although it feels and looks great, it doesn't prevent the reception problem. The latest case I tried was an old original iPhone case that my sister used for her old iPhone, and it actually worked. It was made of a very hard plastic that seemed to curve around the edge of the phone, as the old iPhone had curves. I would have loved to try this old case but my sis only had the bottom half of the case (it had two pieces to it).

So, I'm looking for a case that would protect the phone and fix the antenna problem. I was thinking about getting the Speck PixelSkin HD case for my phone as it seems to be made of TPU, which is a type of plastic. Anyone have any experience with the reception while using these cases? If anyone has a different case that seems to fix the problem please share. Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Edit: Here's a link to the Speck case: https://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelskin-hd/iphone-4/243

I'm also looking at either the Belkin Grip Vue or the iFrogz case as they are at Best Buy so I can purchase them locally.

Belkin Grip Vue: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+...lear/1066084.p?id=1218215153736&skuId=1066084

iFrogz: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iFrogz+...Iron/1039406.p?id=1218212235129&skuId=1039406

2. Showtime3 macrumors member

pretty much any case/bumper will do the trick. apple is sending everyone a free case/bumper next week. id just wait for that

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I have two cases, an official apple bumper and a cheapo ebay case. Both of which sort of fix the problem. Which leads me to the following, remember what steve jobs said 'every smartphone has this problem.' The fact is, even with the bumper, your hand (& the bumper) are still blocking the signal.

4. Showtime3 macrumors member

youre misunderstanding how a case/bumper fixes the reception issue

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, the point is that gripping the phone tightly with a bumper installed doesn't result in a loss of signal like touching the death grip point directly - even lightly - does. IOW, the iPhone 4 does not in fact suffer from the same problem as other smartphones. It's an entirely different problem altogether, one which some would categorize as a design flaw. ;)