Best iPhone 4(S) black bumper case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sportsfrk214, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for an iPhone case. I'm getting the 4S but obviously any cases for the 4 will work. Obviously I'm looking for one that works with Verizon iPhones, since the 4S will have a similar button layout.

I'm basically looking for a good black bumper case not made by Apple. I'm sorry but I just cannot justify $30 for a piece of rubber. These are the requirements I'm looking to fill.

1. Solid black bumper-style case
    2. Does not scratch or scuff the metal band of the phone
    3. The case is ever so slightly "taller" than the width of the phone (ex: that way when you lay it on a table, the back of the phone doesn't touch the surface because the case does first)

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find anything that has both good reviews and a reasonable price ($15 or less). If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them :)

2. dqfayi macrumors regular

Ahaa.... iPhone 4s case is coming out? So quick@!!!

3. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Bump this. I'd like it not touching the table too when flat. Extra protection I it falls!

4. InTheAir macrumors regular

Not necessarily--the camera cutout on many of the new 4S cases is much bigger, so previous 4 cases may not work if they are near the camera.

(I don't think a bumper case will have any issues, but just something to consider.)

5. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ask because I bought a Griffin Reveal case on Amazon a couple days ago, which looked like exactly what I wanted. But when I got it I realized it had a clear plastic plate on the back. I'll wait til I get my iPhone to see if I like it or not, but I'd prefer one without even a clear back.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I heard the new iPhone bumpers, the universal ones for the AT&T + Verizon, don't scratch the steel band anymore. Can anyone comment that?

8. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

Would love to know the answer to this also...

9. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

well, in all honesty, the apple bumper isn't that all that bad. I don't think the bumper itself scratches the metal band, it's all the dust and stuff that gets inbetween the phone and the bumper. People say to clean it every week, but obviously that doesn't work because people are still scuffing the band up. I've had the black bumper on my phone for over a year and it's help up pretty well. I only wish I had put some sort of clear protection around the band as I also have scuffs on it. I've dropped my phone plenty of times and the bumper has done it's job well. It even fell completely flat on the screen side and made a loud "slap!" I thought for sure it had broke, but nothing happened.

Regarding the SGP Neo hybrid......it's a great looking case and I love the fact that you can use third party chargers with it. BUT, the plastic pieces at the bottom of phone are super thin, and people are breaking them just by taking the case off and on. So for $30, I'll pass on that. Don't want to spend that kind of money on a case that's gonna break so easily.

This time I'm getting a white phone with 3 different bumpers and band protection to prevent the scuffing. I'm getting 2 clear bumpers from ebay. I want clear because I love the look of the brushed steel around the phone. I'm also getting another apple bumper, just in case these ebay cases don't do the job.

Don't forget to get screen protectors, front and back. You'll be sorry when the first scratch appears on your pretty retina display. It's all you'll ever see when you look at your phone. :mad:

Here's the 3 bumpers I will getting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Who make those bumpers ? That clear/white is nice !

11. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

just search ebay for "clear iphone 4 bumper" and "clear iphone 4 bumper metal buttons"