Best iPhone 5 case for camping?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Retired Cat, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

My iPhone survived a camping trip earlier this summer. All it was equipped with was an Incipio Frequency (thin-ish TPU case), and Belkin screen film. This is good enough for daily use, but not good against dust, dirt, and rain.

I used a ziplock bag on rainy days, which kept the water out, but made the phone more difficult to pocket.

I'm looking for a more integrated solution. I want something that will keep rain and dirt/dust out of the phone's buttons and ports.

Some of the waterproof cases, like the Lifeproof Fre and Incipio Atlas seem to have usability and quality issues, based on the threads I've browsed.

Otter box seem a bit too bulky for me. Lifeproof Nuud looks interesting, but I'm not sure how well the back will resist scratches.

I haven't seen much feedback on the newer Ballistic Hydra. Anyone using that one?

Any others I should consider?

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

I vote for LifeProof.

----------

BTW, my Nuud has no scratches yet after a month of use. But I'm gonna put a Skinit on the back anyway cause I don't like the feel of it. Just personal preference.

3. Di4mondz macrumors regular

As much as a need for ruggedness, I suggest a glow in the dark case :D

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The Nuud. You're worried about scratching your case in the wild? :rolleyes:

5. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Best iPhone 5 case for camping?

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm done camping for the summer, so I don't need a case now, but it always helps to know good options for the future.

These cases do cost $80-90, so I'd prefer to get one that does not look terrible after some use. Of course, that is a secondary consideration to the ability to protect the phone from damage.

6. nilzi macrumors regular

i think waterproof case is great for camping, as it adopts a unibody design.

7. ngocnguyen macrumors member

most of the times I've gone camping....I have no service..so the phone (and case for that matter) is useless.

8. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

I second this. We pop lifeproofs on when we might get wet like when out with the rock buggy or the RZR.