Best iPhone App for notes?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Roc P., Sep 8, 2012.

1. Roc P., Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

Roc P. macrumors regular

This is what I need to accomplish:

I need an App that emulates a folder based system so to speak.

Something that will enable me to name something "Work" for example so when I tap it, a group of different lists opens up. Each with their own name so that they too can be tapped and opened, with text inside.

I would need the home list to be able to have more than one category, such as "work", "savings", "shopping" etc.

Any help or information is appreciated. The App does not have to be free, I am happy to pay for it.

2. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Over 500 views and NOBODY has ANY suggestions?? :confused:

Is there something I don't know?

The standard Notepad App by Apple isn't enough for me because I have over 20 notes and it's hard to find the one I need sometimes because there is no way to group them together or organize them.

3. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Try Anydo or any to do, theyre more like tasks that you can group to personal and business as well as imp, priority, nom imp etc... And in each reminder like the apple one you can put notes or note apps like (easynote + to do) which has both notes and reminders for free or notemaster :/ you can try all their free versions if they arent free Nd suit urself.

4. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them.

The thing I want to clarify is that I don't need to "remind" myself about things to get done, but rather keep a more organized database of information that I can refer to when needed. (I use the Calendar or Reminders Apps when I need reminding).

5. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Tried Evernote?

Otherwise you can keep a simple dropbox folder with txt files, and use a number of great dropbox text editors available across iOS devices. I like Byword and Notesy.

6. Roc P., Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, at first Evernote seemed like EXACTLY the App I needed... Until I installed it and realized I need to create a login to use it. I don't sync my Notes App with iCloud so I don't need a new App to sync with anything also. Basically I don't like the idea of notes being stored on another companies servers and able to be accessed by others. That's why even though I like your Dropbox suggestion I don't want to go that route either.

Any Apps like Evernote that don't require a login? Again, it doesn't have to be free, I will pay for it.

7. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Do you just want to store text based notes? If so look into the dropbox + txt file editor option I indicated earlier.

8. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Pretty much. I would like to be able to edit them on my phone without the use of an extra app and I also wanted my phone to be the only place they are stored. Thats why I am not inclined to use the dropbox method although it is a very good one.

I pretty much just want to open an App that has "folders" that I can name and then tap which would open up lists of notes. I want the App to not need a login and to use my iPhones storage only.

9. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Check out Notesy. It allows you to keep your notes in a nested folder system. Although it syncs very well with DropBox (in fact, I think the full name is Notesy for Dropbox), I don't believe that's a requirement.

Regards,
    Tom

10. Roc P., Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

You're right! I just bought it and I DON'T have to sync with Dropbox! I do have a Dropbox account so at least the option is there if I change my mind. This App is exactly what I needed! Thank you! I think someone else had suggested this App in one of the previous posts too. Glad it was suggested again and I tried it!

11. oleg1521 macrumors newbie

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Yep I also mentioned this in my original post. Glad you like it.

13. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the help! After a few days of using Notesy I am very glad I bought it!

14. apper macrumors newbie

I was also very reluctant to use software that synced my data into the "cloud" - for others to freely browse through (as I imagined).

However, one day I surrendered and installed both Dropbox and Evernote, and it was the best thing ever. It is so great to write something on my computer and then seconds later have the same data on my iPhone. When it comes to taking notes, I really prefer to sit in front of a computer with a keyboard to type and organize, and to only do that from the phone would feel quite limiting.

So I can really recommend Evernote or any other good software that syncs the data between all of your units.