Other Best iPhone for a power user?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonybarnaby, Mar 18, 2018.

1. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

A friend of mine is a power user and wants to move to an iPhone. He uses his phone all day for work, as well as in his off time. Battery life is #1 above all else. Which setup would provide the most battery life out of these?

iPhone 7/8 with the Apple battery case
    iPhone 7+/8+

I’d assume a 7/8 with the official Apple battery case would beat a plus phone with no battery case, but I haven’t ever had one to know for sure. There are aftermarket battery cases for the plus, but not official apple ones.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The 8 Plus battery capability might surprise you.

3. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

I have an 8 Plus, and it’s great. I assume an 8 with the Apple battery case can last longer, though.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can also pick up a battery back for the iPhone X, which I think has excellent battery life.

5. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

He has zero interest in an X unfortunately.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

We shall pray for him.

7. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

No two power users are the same. I use mine for work as well as at home for quite a lot, and yet my battery needs are modest compared to someone who spends hours a day using their iPhone for entertainment (gaming, video, music, etc.). I listen to music and podcasts on my iPhone X, but I don’t use it much for games or video. Battery life is never an issue for me.

If he doesn’t mind carrying and using a phablet, the 8+ would give him the best battery life of the latest models. That said he may not need it. One thing about the 8 series and the X is that they support wireless charging. That makes it convenient to top things off every now and then. He could get a $20 charger for the office and one for home.

8. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

An 8+ is no match for an 8 with a smart battery case. It’s the main reason why I won’t move up to a plus model.

9. tl01 macrumors 68020

Do you have a recommendation for one?

10. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

That was my hunch. Shame apple will never make one for the plus phones.

11. Relentless Power, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent Battery life doesn’t translate into a reliable Battery back. Apple does not offer a battery back for the iPhone X and the third-party units are mainly poorly rated with being unreliable with the lightning port and experiencing intermittent charging issues . I personally would not recommend a battery back for the iPhone X unless it was from Apple or a reputable third party company, its not worth causing issues with the iPhone X as some reviews have reported.

12. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’ll throw in a third option.

8 plus with an external battery pack of higher MHz from a reputable brand such as Anker.

13. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

External battery doesn't work for him. He's always on the go, and keeps his phone in hi as pocket a lot. Good idea, otherwise.

14. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

So then what phone/setup does "Shadow Man" currently use so we have a point of reference?

15. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

Moto z play with incipio battery case. Moto z play already has legendary battery life, and the incipio is even better. No way in hell can any iPhone come close to matching this setup, but the closer the better. I told him a 7 along with 2 battery cases is probably his best bet.

16. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

8+ for sure. I don't think they would need the battery pack as well, but I guess it doesn't hurt either.

17. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

He’s a repo man who uses gps all day, as well as streaming music and making many phone calls. I think the 7/8 with a battery case would last longer, but the 8+ is a more enjoyable phone to use.

Are there any documented figures on how long a 7/8 will last with an apple battery case, ballpark figure? Could be hard to say, since no one uses their phones the same.

18. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

If he's in the car all day using GPS, why does battery life matter? Can't he just use a cigarette lighter to keep it charged?

19. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

Just a personal preference apparently.

20. rojct20 macrumors member

iPhone X with Mophie charge force wireless charger. Up to additional 48 hrs.