Best iPhone For the elderly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KeegM480, Mar 9, 2014.

1. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

My grandma got an iPad for christmas from my family and decided she liked it so much she wants a smart phone. I'd like too keep her with an iPhone simply because I don't want to teach her Android and iOS.

Which iPhone is best? I was thinking of getting her the 5C which would save some money, she wouldn't use the fingerprint scanner or need the specs on the 5S so my other thought is an iPhone 5.

Which would be better for my grandma? 5 or 5C?

(She is getting an Otterbox Defender)

2. applereviewguy macrumors regular

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

5c since you can't really buy the 5 easily anymore. 4S is too old and 5s is too fancy.

Unless she's used to an Otterbox on her iPad, I'd say keep it simple with the case. Since the 5c is polycarbonate, it doesn't really need all the protection that the others do. Plus what's the point in buying a colored phone if you won't show it off? :D

6. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

5 is all over Craigslist and eBay. She needs a case, I would like her phone to last a while, she drops her phone all the time. Her iPad has a leather case, which is fine because it generally only at their house or in the car, the iPhone will move a lot. She probably won't pick a flamboyant color so it doesn't need to be shown off :)

7. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

5c because of the bigger screen compared to the 4s. If you increase the font she will still be able to see more on the screen.

She probably wouldn't need the hardware in the 5s.

8. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I'll go against the grain and say no to the 5c; rather, get the 5s. For only $100 more, she'll have a modern camera and much better processor, as well as the thumbprint scanner. Much simpler than having to type a passcode in every time.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Honestly I would say go with the 5 if she's gonna use the otterbox case. The 5 will be cheaper because you can find plenty on Craigslist/eBay and due to the case the aluminum vs polycarbonate thing isn't really an issue. Not to mention the specs of the 5C and 5 are very similar.