Best iPhone Mount for your Car

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sap12690, Sep 15, 2012.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a mount to put my iPhone in my car so i can use the turn by turn navigation in the new iOS 6. But im looking for the "BEST" one. Any suggestions?

2. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

I bought these

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...77045072079076045085078055066085/Default.aspx

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...66045049054054045065045068085049/Default.aspx

It fits my iphone with a otterbox defender case just fine. The only problem I had with it was 2 times this year I got into my car and the thing was laying on the floor.

Now I do not fault the product for this because those days I had the car closed, it was 95+ degrees outside (you know, the days you burn yourself getting into the car), so it was a hell of alot hotter inside and the heat basically popped it off.

I never had it come off while driving, and pa has some of the worst pot hole filled roads in the nation.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005O5WSTW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1347746333&sr=8-1

It has a God-like suction grip on the window and it's never fallen off my windshield, even when off-roading. Can be adjusted to any angle, but it takes some fidgeting. It's the best windshield mount I've used so far and it works with most phones, even ones with cases on them. It feels kind of cheap at first, but it's very sturdy.

4. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

The "Best" one depends on the person and the vehicle. What's best for you might not be best for everyone else. What is best for me is ProClipUSA.

5. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

6. stoplis macrumors regular

This is the best one I've used. Really stable and as it fits in the CD slot, will never fall off the windscreen.

7. RowdyRude macrumors newbie

I'm also on the same hunt for a good car mounting system. A perfect solution for me would be one made for the ip5 that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter and charges the phone. It seems simple but so far I haven't had any luck on my search.

I can't stand suction mounts, having my air vents covered, or long wires hanging everywhere. Not really sure what to do at the moment.

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Proclipusa

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

i use this too. You think the headphone jack and that support on the bottom is going to be an issue?

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Wilson Sleek is the best way to mount it in your car cause it gives you the use the the outside antenna and boost your reception and charges your phone. I will post actual results next week after I receive my Iphone 5

11. RowdyRude macrumors newbie

I may just be overlooking it, but I can't find a mount on their site that isn't a vent mount. The only other option I saw was the pedestals. I could just be missing it.

12. Arran, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I've been using a Tetrax 72016 XWAY for about a year:

http://www.amazon.com/Tetrax-72016-Smartphone-Magnetic-Airvent/dp/B0030IMXHM

Got it at Fry's. It's magnetic. You you have to stick a little steel disc onto the back of your iPhone case - but apart from that it's been great. The great thing is it's tiny - so it's great for traveling and use in rental cars.

Ingenious. Mounting via the CD slot. Never seen that before.

13. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Now if they would only come out with an 8 track mount for my truck;)

14. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Yup. Your missing it, lol. I'm mobile right now so I can't find the link for you. I spoke with proclipusa last week and they said the iPhone 5 specific mount is 3-5 weeks out.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Made me think of this...

Attached Files:

16. digiphantom macrumors regular

17. RowdyRude macrumors newbie

Okay cool. I'm flipping through the page on my phone so its easy to overlook stuff. I'll check it again when I'm back home.

18. CH34P3T, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

CH34P3T macrumors regular

I move the mount between cars a lot as well, and I find it pretty quick and easy to remove once you unlock the suction thing (it's STRONG!), and there's also a little pull tab to help easily remove it from the dash/windshield.

Here's the review of it that convinced me to buy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbSegA_6Iw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

iOttie link: http://iottie.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=955&ProductType=321

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Define exactly what your criteria for best are. What's your budget?

They make a 2 piece solution. You need a vehicle mount and you need a device mount. I'd suggest using Panavise's brackets instead of Proclip's vehicle mounts. Proclip tends to use friction and double sided tape. Panavise's brackets bolt on.

20. McBeats macrumors 6502a

wow, I'm in for one of those iOtties. Looks fantasticly designed, putting my current i4 mount to shame when it comes to the ease of sticking it into the mount. just purchased one off ebay....

21. JM2 macrumors member

I'm in the ProClip fixed mount camp. I've got ProClips in all three of my vehicles: a Volvo C30, a Nissan 350 Z and a Dodge Dakota. I use the pass-thru design and then hard-wired them into the factory (Volvo) or aftermarket (Alpine / Pioneer) audio systems, so all the wires are hidden.

Proclip's system is two part: vehicle specific mount + phone specific holder. They make holders for naked phones or ones with cases plus different style connectors and tilt/swivel designs. There is a wide range of choices. The vehicle specific mounts generally fit into some small gap in a dash panel and secure with double stick 3M tape. This combination means they stay put, but don't require any modifications to the car.

That CD mount is pretty slick if just need navigation, however from the pictures it looks like it blocks most of the radios controls.

22. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I've been very happy with my iOttie. It's handled my iPhone 4, my Droid X, and my Droid Razr Maxx without any issues even with the cases on. It's cheap and versatile. :)