Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I bought an iPhone 3GS yesterday and I'm currently making some ringtones with Ableton Live.

I saw some software a few months ago back when I didn't have an iPhone yet, so I didn't really take notice ... but can you guys give me some suggestions as to what software / method is the best to get audio files into the 'Ringtones' section in iTunes?

Thanks in advance

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Simplest way: find your song, get info on it, go to the 'Options' tab. Using the start time and stop time boxes, section out a maximum of 30 seconds of audio. Press Ok.

Select the song, go to 'Advanced', then go to 'Create AAC Version'. Wait for it to finish. Find the newly converted song, press 'command-r' to reveal in Finder. Delete short clip from iTunes but keep file in Library. Rename the song clip from <songname>.m4a to extension .m4r. Open the renamed file in iTunes.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
You can also go to myxer.com, which has hundreds (thousands?) of iPhone-ready ringtones.

Or you could search here, because a few members have created ringtones and shared them with the community. There is everything from "normal" ringing phones, extra loud, and fun ringtones floating around in old threads. Just look around.

You can also use Garage Band, if you're so inclined.

truncj

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Simplest way: find your song, get info on it, go to the 'Options' tab. Using the start time and stop time boxes, section out a maximum of 30 seconds of audio. Press Ok.

Select the song, go to 'Advanced', then go to 'Create AAC Version'. Wait for it to finish. Find the newly converted song, press 'command-r' to reveal in Finder. Delete short clip from iTunes but keep file in Library. Rename the song clip from <songname>.m4a to extension .m4r. Open the renamed file in iTunes.

^ agreed. This is the best way to create ringtones with your personal music. No extra programs needed and really quite simple.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Thanks a lot!

I used the iTunes method along with Ableton Live for some fine-tuning! thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.